Quantcast
Connect with us

Colorado man goes on murderous rampage after 911 dispatcher lectures panicked caller on open carry law

Published

on

A neighbor might have helped stop a Colorado man from killing three people as he roamed around with a military-style rifle, but the state’s open carry law apparently prevented police from following up on her concerned report.

Naomi Bettis called 911 Saturday after spotting her neighbor, who she recognized but did not know by name, walking outside his home with an AR-15 rifle, reported the Denver Post.

ADVERTISEMENT

“He did have a distraught look on his face,” Bettis said. “It looked like he had a rough couple days or so.”

Related: Colorado gunman posted religious rant against government and ‘Satanic’ mind control two days before shooting

However, the 911 dispatcher declined to send police and reminded Bettis that Colorado allows gun owners to legally and publicly carry their firearms out in the open.

Police eventually did respond — but not until 33-year-old Noah Harpham had already shot two women and a man with the rifle that had concerned his neighbor at least several minutes earlier.

ADVERTISEMENT

Authorities identified the victims Monday evening as 35-year-old Andrew Alan Myers, 42-year-old Jennifer Michelle Vasquez, and 34-year-old  Christina Rose Baccus-Gallela.

Police responded shortly before 9 a.m. Saturday to a report of a possible shooting, and they found Myers dead and a fire burning, according to dispatch logs.

Witnesses said Harpham shot his victims one by one as they begged for their lives.

ADVERTISEMENT

“It looked totally random,” said neighbor Matthew Abshire, who followed the gunman and called the police. “He walked calmly and collectedly. His demeanor was like he was having a stroll in the park.”

Police fatally shot Harpham about seven minutes after they first arrived at the scene, but not before he killed his victims one by one — including a bicyclist who begged for his life.

It’s not clear at this point how much time passed between Bettis’ call and the first shooting — which prompted a flood of 911 calls.

ADVERTISEMENT

But the case stands in contrast to at least three others in states that permit the open carry of firearms.

Dispatchers declined to respond to the report about Harpham, who was white, and reminded the caller, who is also white, that Colorado is an open carry state.

However, dispatchers in Ohio sent police to two calls last year involving John Crawford, a black man, and Tamir Rice, a black boy, who were each shot and killed on sight by law enforcement officers — although they were each carrying toy weapons in an open carry state.

ADVERTISEMENT

Another black man, Darrien Hunt, was fatally shot by police who responded to a report of him carrying a sword — which turned out to be a replica — along a commercial boulevard.

Ohio allows the open carry of firearms, and Utah became the second state to pass a law prohibiting cities from banning the carry of knives — which swords are generally considered to be by weapons advocates.

None of the officers involved in those fatal shootings were charged.

Watch an interview with Bettis posted online:

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Pompeo now regrets not defending Ukraine ambassador as scandal ensnares the State Department: report

Published

on

Sources are saying Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has become frustrated by the loss of some top officials and regrets his failure to defend the former ambassador to the Ukraine from a smear campaign.

One source said Pompeo failed to get involved because he was afraid of upending U.S.-Ukraine policy and be pushed out of the administration like former national security adviser John Bolton, reported CNN.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump fans sharpen their knives for Mulvaney after quid pro quo disaster: ‘He’s about 70 percent as smart as he thinks he is’

Published

on

Acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney's disastrous press conference on Thursday has riled up some of Donald Trump's most avid defenders who are now talking behind his back and on conservative talk radio for hurting the president.

According to a report at the Daily Beast, not only was the press stunned by Mulvaney's admission that the administration indulges in quid pro quo negotiating -- with the high-ranking White House official snapping "Get over it" at reporters -- but conservatives were also appalled at the damage he did to Trump despite attempting to disavow his own words hours later.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump lawyer issues bonkers threat to sue CNN over ‘unfair’ coverage of the president

Published

on

Trump attorney Charles Harder on Friday sent CNN CEO Jeff Zucker a bonkers letter in which he threatened to sue the cable news network for its "biased" coverage of the president.

The letter, which was posted on Twitter by Trump 2020 chief operating officer Michael Glassner, accuses CNN of deceiving the public with its slogan of putting "facts first," and it outlines the many ways the president has been treated poorly by the network.

"Never in the history of this country has a President been the subject of such a sustained barrage of unfair, unfounded, unethical and unlawful attacks by the so-called 'mainstream' media as the current situation," Harder writes. "My clients intend to file legal action against you to seek compensatory damages, treble damages, punitive damages, injunctive relief, reimbursement of legal costs, and all other available legal and equitable remedies to the maximum extent permitted by law."

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image