Quantcast
Connect with us

Jamar Clark protesters kicked out of Minneapolis City Council meeting

Published

on

Three protesters were removed from a Minneapolis city council meeting on Friday after they voiced disapproval over how city leaders have handled the investigation of Sunday’s police killing of an unarmed African-American man.

The protesters interrupted a regular council meeting to complain about the way the city handles police misconduct issues. A day earlier, a number of council members joined protests over the shooting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Jamar Clark, 24, died on Monday night after his family decided to disconnect life support. Two officers under investigation in the incident have been identified, but their races have not been revealed.

Clark’s death comes at a time of heightened awareness of and debate in the U.S. over police use of lethal force, especially against blacks. Over the past year, protests against killings of unarmed African Americans – some videotaped with phones or police cameras – have rocked a number of U.S. cities.

“This is atrocious. This is outrageous. They know what’s going on… and they don’t want to hear it,” Michelle Gross, a community activist, said after ejection from the meeting.

On Friday evening, hundreds of people gathered and lit candles during a vigil for Clark outside of the 4th Street Precinct station, two blocks where he was killed.

Demonstrators have remained in front of the station all week.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We need to be in this fight for the long run. Not for a day, not for a week, not for a month, but until justice is realized and until we get what it is that we seek,” Cornell William Brooks, president of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, told the crowd.

Protesters, who have demanded release of video footage of the incident, say Clark was unarmed and handcuffed when he was shot.

Officials have confirmed no weapon was found at the scene and that they are looking into whether Clark was handcuffed.

ADVERTISEMENT

The police union said Clark had grabbed one of the officers’ guns, although the weapon remained in its holster.

Mayor Betsy Hodges has met with protesters to try to diffuse tensions, but says releasing video would jeopardize an investigation of the shooting by state authorities.

ADVERTISEMENT

Hodges and Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton met on Friday with Brooks to discuss calls to release the video.

There is no police video from dashboard cameras or body cameras, but investigators said there is partial footage from security cameras in the area and an ambulance on the scene.

(Reporting by Brendan O’Brien; Writing by Fiona Ortiz; Editing by Dan Grebler, Victoria Cavaliere)

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Alabama Republican: ‘I want to see more people’ get coronavirus

Published

on

On Thursday, Alabama Senate President Pro Tempore Del Marsh suggested that he wanted more people to get coronavirus — because he thinks America would develop "herd immunity" and reduce the spread enough to protect more vulnerable populations.

"I'm not as concerned so much as the number of cases. In fact, quite honestly, I want to see more people, because we start reaching an immunity the more people have it and get through it," said Marsh. "I don't want any deaths, as few as possible, say, I get it, but those people who are susceptible to the disease, especially more serious pre-existing conditions, elderly population, those folks, we need to, you know, do all we can to protect them. But I'm not concerned, I want to make sure that everybody can receive care."

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

The Secretary of Defense was briefed on Russian bounty on American soldiers — proving it isn’t the hoax Trump said it was

Published

on

Last week, President Donald Trump finally heard the news that the Russian government was giving cash to Afghanistan's Taliban forces to murder American soldiers.

Initially, he began with Step one in the Trump list of processing a scandal: denial.

"Nobody briefed or told me, @VP Pence, or Chief of Staff @MarkMeadows about the so-called attacks on our troops in Afghanistan by Russians, as reported through an "anonymous source" by the Fake News @nytimes. Everybody is denying it & there have not been many attacks on us. Nobody's been tougher on Russia than the Trump Administration. With Corrupt Joe Biden & Obama, Russia had a field day, taking over important parts of Ukraine - Where's Hunter? Probably just another phony Times hit job, just like their failed Russia Hoax. Who is their 'source'?" tweeted Trump on June 28.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Here’s why Trump contradicted his own White House on the Supreme Court rulings

Published

on

Following the Supreme Court's pair of 7-2 decisions rejecting President Donald Trump's claim to have absolute immunity from subpoenas, he blasted the ruling on Twitter, claiming he being unfairly targeted and the victim of "prosecutorial misconduct." However, White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany released a statement saying that "President Trump is gratified by today’s decision."

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image