Quantcast
Connect with us

Minnesota man guns down worker at employees’ holiday party and fights with arresting officers

Published

on

A holiday partygoer gunned down another reveler early Wednesday at a popular resort in northern Minnesota.

Sheriff’s deputies arrested Kirk Bigby shortly after the shooting was reported about 12:15 a.m. at Bluefin Bay Resort in Tofte, reported the Pioneer Press.

ADVERTISEMENT

Witnesses said the 61-year-old Bigby, of nearby Finland, and the victim had been at a casino-style party for employees of the Bluefin Grille went they left to go outside.

Bigby came into “physical contact” with the victim before pulling a handgun and shooting him dead, police said.

Police located Bigby in a guest room at the resort and arrested him.

Officers said Bigby was uncooperative during the arrest, and he suffered minor injuries in a struggle with police.

ADVERTISEMENT

Investigators said they found a handgun in the room where Bigby was hiding.

Witnesses said Bigby was an employee of the lodge, and the victim was working for another company that was providing services for the holiday party.

ADVERTISEMENT

The victim’s name has not yet been released.

The shooting came nearly a week after a Muslim man and his wife opened fire on his co-workers, killing 14 people, during a holiday party in San Bernardino, California.

That shooting has been described as a terrorist act because the shooters, who were killed hours later during a gun battle with police, had expressed support of Islamic State militants.

ADVERTISEMENT

A Fox News analyst suggested that Americans should be suspicious if a guest named “Syed,” as the California shooter was called, left their party and suggested they call the police.

It’s not clear if any other guests were suspicious when Bigby left the holiday gathering, but guests said the victim and the suspect had argued several minutes before the shooting.

“A couple of guys were arguing,” said one guest. “I have no idea what it was about.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Bigby was booked into the Cook County Jail on a preliminary charge of second-degree murder.

The shooting was the county’s first homicide since 2001.

“Things like this never happen here,” said partygoer Lyric Johnson, 18, who said she scrambled after hearing the gunshots. “It was really weird.”

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. Like you, we here at Raw Story believe in the power of progressive journalism — and we’re investing in investigative reporting as other publications give it the ax. Raw Story readers power David Cay Johnston’s DCReport, which we've expanded to keep watch in Washington. We’ve exposed billionaire tax evasion and uncovered White House efforts to poison our water. We’ve revealed financial scams that prey on veterans, and legal efforts to harm workers exploited by abusive bosses. We’ve launched a weekly podcast, “We’ve Got Issues,” focused on issues, not tweets. And unlike other news outlets, we’ve decided to make our original content free. But we need your support to do what we do.

Raw Story is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. We’re not part of a conglomerate, or a project of venture capital bros. From unflinching coverage of racism, to revealing efforts to erode our rights, Raw Story will continue to expose hypocrisy and harm. Unhinged from billionaires and corporate overlords, we fight to ensure no one is forgotten.

We need your support to keep producing quality journalism and deepen our investigative reporting. Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Invest with us in the future. Make a one-time contribution to Raw Story Investigates, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click to donate by check.

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. Like you, we here at Raw Story believe in the power of progressive journalism — and we’re investing in investigative reporting as other publications give it the ax. Raw Story readers power David Cay Johnston’s DCReport, which we've expanded to keep watch in Washington. We’ve exposed billionaire tax evasion and uncovered White House efforts to poison our water. We’ve revealed financial scams that prey on veterans, and efforts to harm workers exploited by abusive bosses. We’ve launched a weekly podcast, “We’ve Got Issues,” focused on issues, not tweets. Unlike other news outlets, we’ve decided to make our original content free. But we need your support to do what we do.

Raw Story is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. We’re not part of a conglomerate, or a project of venture capital bros. From unflinching coverage of racism, to revealing efforts to erode our rights, Raw Story will continue to expose hypocrisy and harm. Unhinged from corporate overlords, we fight to ensure no one is forgotten.

We need your support to keep producing quality journalism and deepen our investigative reporting. Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Invest with us in the future. Make a one-time contribution to Raw Story Investigates, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you.



Report typos and corrections to: [email protected]. Send news tips to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump is terrified a recession is coming — and he has no plan if it does: report

Published

on

Economists and analysts overwhelmingly agreed this week that a recession is, if not looming, appearing to be much more likely in the near future than it was before.

But in President Donald Trump's White House, such pessimism is verboten. According to multiple reports, Trump's team has been emphasizing rosier economic numbers and brushing off signs of a coming downturn. Trump even suggested that he "suspects many economists and other forecasters are presenting biased data to thwart his reelection," according to the Washington Post. (Trump previously complained that positive economic reports under President Barack Obama were fake.)

Continue Reading

2020 Election

‘Pure baloney’: Conservative busts Trump over his bogus reason for holding off on some China tariffs

Published

on

Writing for the conservative Bulwark, columnist Andrew Egger called out Donald Trump's reasoning for his decision to hold off on some tariffs he plans to impose on China -- essentially saying the president is backing off because he now realizes he is dead wrong about the impact on American consumers.

On Tuesday the White House announced the postponement of Chinese imports that included cell phones, laptops and video game console that were  scheduled to go into effect on September 1 -- bumping the date out until 2 weeks before Christmas.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Here’s why Trump’s rabid base will never see the light: They’ve turned to the ‘dark side’

Published

on

In a scorching piece for the Washington Post, columnist Colbert King made the case that there is no sense in wasting time trying to convince rabid supporters of Donald Trump that he is a racist or a white supremacist because that is part of his appeal to them.

Under a heading, "Don’t waste your breath trying to convince Trump supporters he’s repugnant," the longtime political observer cites the Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes song, " If You Don't Know Me By Now," as "instructive" as to why his base is unreachable.

Continue Reading
 
 

Thank you for whitelisting Raw Story!

As a special thank you, from now until August 31st, we're offering you a discounted rate of $5.99/month to subscribe and get ad-free access. We're honored to have you as a reader. Thank you. :) —Elias, Membership Coordinator
LEARN MORE
close-link
close-image