Quantcast
Connect with us

South Korean pop group sent home after US Customs at LA airport accuse them of being sex workers

Published

on

In what may be a case of profiling gone awry, an upcoming South Korean pop group was forced to cancel a Los Angeles appearance and return home after customs officials at  Los Angeles International Airport accused them of being sex workers.

According to the LA Times, K-pop group Oh My Girl (OMG) were detained for over 15 hours before giving up and taking the long flight home after extensive questioning and concerns about their visas.

ADVERTISEMENT

While U.S. Customs refused to discuss the incident — which led to the cancellation of a promotional performance and photo shoot for the 8-girl pop act — the group’s management issued a statement saying the young women were accused of being “working women,”  by their interrogators.

“As young women, they were mistaken as ‘working women’ which has recently been a big issue in the U.S.,” WM Entertainment said in the Korean-language statement. According to the management team, there was also a dispute over visas with the group stating they didn’t need a performance visa, since they were only doing a promotional event and not a concert.

Videos of the teen pop group have been viewed almost 2 million times on YouTube.

According to Korean language media in LA, immigration officials in the U.S. have grown concerned with the rise in “doumi girls,” imported to work in at Koreatown karaoke clubs where they are paid about $120 for two hours to encourage men to drink.

ADVERTISEMENT

According to the management company, they are speaking with attorneys over the temporary incarceration by U.S. Customs.

Video of OMG can be seen below via YouTube:

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

John Bolton lawyer tells judge his interests do not align with WH chief of staff Mick Mulvaney

Published

on

Former National Security Advisor John Bolton told a federal judge on Monday that his interests do not align with those of acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney.

"A long-simmering feud within the White House broke into the open on Monday as a lawyer for John R. Bolton, President Trump’s former national security adviser, filed a motion trying to keep Mick Mulvaney, the president’s acting chief of staff, from joining a lawsuit over impeachment testimony," New York Times chief White House correspondent Peter Baker reported Monday.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Mulvaney may be trying to avoid prosecution with court move in case Trump loses: Legal affairs reporter

Published

on

Politico legal analyst said that one reason chief of staff Mick Mulvaney joined the lawsuit asking whether Congress or the White House reigns supreme on subpoenas is a pre-emptive strike against litigation.

Former Director of National Intelligence John Bolton is also dodging his subpoena. However, it was his deputy, Charles Kupperman, who filed the initial suit to ask the courts which branch to listen to. Mulvaney joined the lawsuit last week, but Kupperman announced that he didn't want Mulvaney to participate because he isn't exactly trustworthy.

Continue Reading
 

Facebook

Alan Dershowitz gets called out on Fox Business for slurring rape accuser as ‘sleazy’

Published

on

Attorney Alan Dershowitz was scolded on live television by a Fox Business host after slurring his rape accuser.

The Harvard law professor appeared Monday morning on Stuart Varney's program to discuss the latest developments in his ongoing legal dispute with Virginia Roberts Giuffre, who claims pedophile Jeffrey Epstein provided her to Dershowitz for sex when she was a teenager, reported The Daily Beast.

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image