Quantcast
Connect with us

Victory for Planned Parenthood as court tells Utah governor he can’t cut off funding

Published

on

A federal appeals court has temporarily blocked Utah’s governor from cutting off funding for Planned Parenthood in the state, which he had ordered amid a controversy over the use of fetal tissue from abortions.

A two-judge panel of the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals late on Wednesday reversed a lower court decision that would have let Governor Gary Herbert, a Republican, halt funding to the women’s health organization beginning on Jan. 1.

ADVERTISEMENT

Herbert ordered the cut-off in August, citing secretly recorded videos that anti-abortion groups have said showed Planned Parenthood officials in Texas and other states, but not Utah, discussing the sale of aborted fetal tissue.

Planned Parenthood has said the videos were made to distort the issue of fetal-tissue donations made by the group for scientific research. It says reimbursements received to cover the costs of those donations were neither illegal nor unethical.

Herbert’s order would cut off funds that Planned Parenthood uses for sex education and the testing of sexually transmitted diseases. Federal funds cannot be used for abortions, but Planned Parenthood provides abortions with other funds.

In a two-page ruling, the Denver-based U.S. appeals court said it had considered factors including the likelihood that Planned Parenthood would succeed in winning a permanent order to preserve its funding in Utah and the threat of irreparable harm to the organization.

“Based on our evaluation of those factors, we conclude an injunction is appropriate pending the court’s determination of the merits,” the order stated.

ADVERTISEMENT

Jon Cox, a spokesman for Herbert, said in a statement the governor was confident the appeals court will ultimately allow Herbert to “make contract decisions on behalf on the state.”

The ruling is the latest in a string of court decisions, including ones in Louisiana and Alabama, that blocked attempts this year to stop funding to Planned Parenthood.

Several Republican governors had sought to cut off funding to the organization after the release of the videos, which were made by the anti-abortion group Center for Medical Progress.

ADVERTISEMENT

Anti-abortion activists and their Republican allies in Congress seized on the videos to challenge Planned Parenthood’s continued eligibility for federal funds.

But a federal spending bill approved on Capitol Hill in September included money for Planned Parenthood, after President Barack Obama threatened to veto any bill that would defund the organization.

ADVERTISEMENT

(Reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis in Los Angeles; Editing by Daniel Wallis and Cynthia Osterman)


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

2020 Election

Lincoln Project slams NC TV station’s ‘overt cowardice’ for refusing to run ad criticizing Trump supporters’ ‘Flag of Treason’

Published

on

On Sunday, The Lincoln Project—a political action committee comprising anti-Trump Republicans backing Joe Biden—digitally released an ad called “The Flag of Treason,” which takes aim to President Trump’s not-so-casual embrace of racial divisiveness and his alliances with Confederate sympathizers.

It’s a provocative ad, for sure—and too provocative, it seems, for ABC11-WTVD.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Thousands in Paris protest racial injustice as George Floyd killing resonates beyond US

Published

on

Riot police fired tear gas Tuesday as scattered protesters in Paris pelted them with debris and set fires during an unauthorized demonstration against racial injustice and heavy-handed police tactics.

Several thousand people had previously rallied peacefully for two hours at the main Paris courthouse as global outrage over what happened to George Floyd in the United States kindled frustrations across borders and continents. The protesters also paid tribute to Adama Traoré, a French black man who died in police custody.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

DC’s football team blasted for tweet against racism: ‘They’re called the Washington PR Stunts now’

Published

on

In a startling moment of tone-deaf responses, the Washington Redskins took part in the #BlackOutTuesday posts, where many showed solidarity with the Black Lives Matter protesters marching to stop police brutality of people of color. Given the racist history of Redskins owner Dan Snyder and the protests over the team's name, some are calling it another example of failed PR stunts.

https://twitter.com/Redskins/status/1267918269798850563

"Teams with racial slurs for names should really sit out racism protests," explained user Dennis Perkins.

Teams with racial slurs for names should really sit out racism protests.

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image