Man’s inhumanity to man, as 18th century Scottish poet Robert Burns put it, is no recent development.
Scientists said on Wednesday they had found the oldest evidence of human warfare, fossils of a band of people massacred by a troop of attackers with weapons including arrows, clubs and stone blades on the shores of a lagoon in Kenya about 10,000 years ago.
The remains of 27 people from a Stone Age hunter-gatherer culture were unearthed at a site called Nataruk roughly 20 miles (30 km) west of Lake Turkana in northern Kenya.
One man’s skeleton was found with a sharp blade made of a volcanic glass called obsidian still embedded in his skull. Another man had wounds from two blows to the head apparently with a club, crushing his skull. A woman in the last stages of pregnancy appeared to have been bound by her hands and feet.
Victims also had projectile wounds to the neck and broken skulls, hands, knees and ribs.
University of Cambridge paleoanthropologist Marta Mirazón Lahr said evidence indicates these people, who hunted animals, caught fish and gathered edible plants, were slain in a premeditated attack by raiders, perhaps from another region.
“It is a brutal, physical, lethal attack with the intention to kill those individuals who could put up a defense or mount a counter-attack, or who perhaps were of no use to them, whether it was a man or a very pregnant woman, too young or too old,” Mirazón Lahr.
Our species arose 200,000 years ago in Africa. Many scholars had thought warfare first emerged long after the time of the Nataruk people when humans formed settled communities instead of a nomadic, hunter-gatherer existence.
The Nataruk fossils “raise the question of whether warfare has been part of the human experience for much longer than previously thought,” Mirazón Lahr added.
A planned attack would suggest that resources the Nataruk people possessed, perhaps water, dried meat or fish, nuts or even women and children, were considered valuable, she said.
There were remains of 21 adults and six children, most under age 6. There were no older teenagers. “Whether they managed to escape, or were taken, we will never know,” she said.
“At the end, all massacres are savage,” Mirazón Lahr said. “How many examples do we have from our very recent, and current, history? But finding the remains of a massacre among the skeletons of hunter-gatherers of this period was totally surprising.”
The research appeared in the journal Nature.
(Reporting by Will Dunham; Editing by Sandra Maler)
Alt-Right headed to court — the ‘serious injuries’ inflicted on two sisters could cost white nationalists $10 million
Some of the most prominent members of the Alt-Right are being sued by two sisters for $10 million.
Sisters Tadrint and Micah Washington filed a lawsuit after being seriously injured in the fatal Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, the Daily Progress reported Saturday.
"The suit has since been narrowed to Fields, Kessler, Spencer, the National Policy Institute, William Regnery II, AltRight Corp., Mike Peinovich, Michael Hill, Matthew Heimbach, the Traditionalist Worker Party, the League of the South, Bradley Griffin, Vanguard America, Augustus Invictus, Chris Cantwell, Andrew Anglin, Moonbase Holdings, Identity Europa, Nathan Damigo and Elliott Kline," the newspaper reported.
Man barricaded himself in Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s office in Queens
The New York Police Department responded to a Saturday break-in at the Queens office of Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez by a 27-year-old man.
"The alleged trespasser barricaded himself in the 3rd floor office, hiding in a utility closet until police convinced him to come out," WPIX-TV reports.
"The man was taken to an area hospital for an evaluation. Charges against him are pending," ABC 7 reported.
Trump wants Americans to watch interview where he broke federal law by soliciting foreign election help: ‘Enjoy the show!’
Despite widespread criticism, President Donald Trump on Saturday stood by his comments to George Stephanopoulos -- and hyped an upcoming broadcast of the interview.
"I enjoyed my interview with George Stephanopoulos on ABC News," Trump claimed.
"So funny to watch the Fake News Media try to dissect and distort every word in as negative a way as possible. It will be aired on Sunday night at 8:00 P.M., and is called, “President Trump: 30 Hours” (which is somewhat misleading in that I personally spent only a small fraction of that time doing interviews. I do have a few other things to do, you know!)," he continued.