Quantcast
Connect with us

Tip leads to capture of last two maximum-security inmates who escaped from a California jail last week

Published

on

The last two fugitives who broke out a California jail last week were arrested on a tip from a man who saw their stolen van in the parking lot of a San Francisco Whole Foods supermarket, authorities said on Saturday, a day after a third escapee turned himself in.

The manhunt that began after the three inmates escaped from an Orange County maximum-security jail on Jan. 22 came to an end when Hossein Nayeri, 37, and Jonathan Tieu, 20, were taken into custody in San Francisco’s park district about 375 miles (604 km) north of the lockup, police said.

A man approached police officers and pointed out a white van in the parking lot of a Whole Foods market that looked similar to the one the fugitives were reported to have stolen in Los Angeles following their escape, San Francisco police spokeswoman Grace Gatpandan said at a news conference.

Nayeri took off running when police approached the van, Gatpandan said. After a brief chase, officers caught the fugitive. Tieu, who police said was hiding in the van, was arrested a short time later, she said.

The white van appears to be the same vehicle the two men stole and were believed to be living inside of following their escape, Orange County Sheriff Sandra Hutchens said at a separate news conference, where she expressed relief over the capture.

“My fear was someone in the community was going to get hurt, because they really had nothing to lose,” said Hutchens.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Orange County Sheriff’s Department operates the jail in Santa Ana from which the three prisoners escaped.

The daring Jan. 22 breakout recalled the escape of a pair of convicted murderers from an upstate New York prison last year. They evaded capture for three weeks before one of them was shot dead and the other was captured near the Canadian border.

Orange County officials had offered a $200,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of the three inmates, and on Saturday Hutchens expressed hope that the citizen who reported seeing the van in San Francisco could receive a reward.

San Francisco police found rounds of .380-caliber ammunition in the van, but did not locate a gun, Gatpandan said.

ADVERTISEMENT

The third escapee, Bac Duong, 43, gave himself up on Friday in Santa Ana, officials said.

Nayeri, the presumed mastermind of the breakout, was incarcerated at the Orange County jail on charges stemming from the 2012 mutilation torture of a kidnap victim.

Tieu was facing murder charges and Duong has been charged with attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon, among other crimes. The pair are reputed to be connected with Vietnamese-American street gangs.

The men made their getaway by cutting through steel grating inside the jail, climbing through a plumbing conduit to the roof and lowering themselves four floors to the ground with bedsheets, authorities said. Their disappearance went unnoticed for about 16 hours.

ADVERTISEMENT

Like the New York breakout, the California escape involved a female civilian employee of the correctional facility who provided help, authorities say.

Nooshafarin Ravaghi, who taught English at the Orange County jail, was arrested on Thursday on suspicion of assisting in the escape. She is accused of furnishing the inmates with Google Maps information that included overviews of the jail rooftop and surrounding areas.

Ravaghi, who is expected to be arraigned on Monday, had befriended Nayeri, according to authorities.

In the New York escape, the fugitive inmates had help from a female prison employee who allegedly had sexual relations with one of them. She was sentenced to seven years for her role.

(Additional reporting By Frank McGurty; Editing by Bernard Orr)

Report typos and corrections to [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

DOJ money laundering probe of Deutsche Bank includes Kushner transactions: report

Published

on

The U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) is conducting a criminal investigation of possible money laundering violations by Deutsche Bank, and the New York Times is reporting that the probe will include taking a look at some 2016 transactions involving Kushner Cos. — the business owned by the family of Senior White House Advisor Jared Kushner, President Donald Trump’s son-in-law.

In banking, reports of possibly suspicious activity are known as “suspicious activity reports,” and the DOJ is investigating why Deutsche Bank prepared such alerts for activity involving Kushner Cos. but did not file them. A key figure in the DOJ’s investigation is whistleblower Tammy McFadden, who helped prepare suspicious activity reports for Kushner Cos.-related transactions. McFadden is a former compliance officer for Deutsche Bank.

Continue Reading

2020 Election

Joe Biden promises to answer questions about his son’s overseas business dealings — after he’s elected

Published

on

Joe Biden refused to answer questions about his son's overseas business dealings.

The Democratic presidential frontrunner has been criticized for conducting diplomatic work as vice president in countries were his son, Hunter Biden, was engaged in business, but he refused at two campaign stops Monday to take questions about the controversy, reported ABC News.

Instead, his campaign promised that Biden would issue an executive order "on his first day in office" to "address conflicts of interest of any kind."

Continue Reading
 

Facebook

US Justice Dept. tells court migrant children in federal concentration camps don’t need soap or toothbrushes

Published

on

The Trump administration's Justice Dept. lawyers say migrant children detained in federal concentration camps do not need soap or toothbrushes despite a settlement agreement that requires the U.S. Government to keep them in "safe and sanitary" facilities. The DOJ also argues that the children, detained in the Southern border camps, can continue to sleep on cold concrete floors in overcrowded cells without being in violation of the agreement.

The DOJ made the argument Tuesday before a three-judge panel of the Ninth Circuit, Courthouse News reports, noting the judges appeared "incredulous" with the government's claims.

Continue Reading
 
 

Copyright © 2019 Raw Story Media, Inc. PO Box 21050, Washington, D.C. 20009 | Masthead | Privacy Policy | For corrections or concerns, please email [email protected]

I need your help.

Investigating Trump's henchmen is a full time job, and I'm trying to bring in new team members to do more exclusive reports. We have more stories coming you'll love. Join me and help restore the power of hard-hitting progressive journalism.

TAKE A LOOK
close-link

Investigating Trump is a full-time job, and I want to add new team members to do more exclusive reports. We have stories coming you'll love. Join me and go ad-free, while restoring the power of hard-hitting progressive journalism.

TAKE A LOOK
close-link