Quantcast
Connect with us

Two Guantanamo Bay inmates sent to Bosnia and Montenegro

Published

on

The Pentagon on Thursday announced the transfer of another two inmates from the Guantanamo Bay military prison, bringing the controversial facility’s remaining population down to 91.

Tariq Mahmoud Ahmed Al Sawah was sent to Bosnia, while Abd al-Aziz Abduh Abdallah Ali Al-Suwaydi was transferred to Montenegro.

According to their leaked prisoner files, Sawah is a citizen of Egypt and Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Al-Suwaydi is from Yemen.

ADVERTISEMENT

The transfers mark another step as the administration of US President Barack Obama struggles to close the facility. About 780 inmates have been held there since it opened in January 2002.

“The United States is grateful to the government of Montenegro for its humanitarian gesture and willingness to support ongoing US efforts to close the Guantanamo Bay detention facility,” the Pentagon said in a statement announcing Al-Suwaydi’s release.

“The United States coordinated with the government of Montenegro to ensure this transfer took place consistent with appropriate security and humane treatment measures.”

The statement did not give further details, but typically Guantanamo inmates are released on condition they undergo a rehabilitation or reintegration program to make sure they do not threaten US security interests.

ADVERTISEMENT

Al-Suwaydi, 41, was allegedly an Al-Qaeda member and explosives trainer, according to his file. He was captured in Pakistan in February 2002.

Sawah, 58, was captured in December 2001 and first recommended for release in 2007.

He allegedly admitted to being in Al-Qaeda and developing explosives for the jihadist group, including limpet mines for use against US ships and a prototype shoe bomb.

ADVERTISEMENT

Despite this purported past, he was a “highly prolific source and has provided invaluable intelligence,” Sawah’s file states. The 2008 document notes he was morbidly obese at the time.

Of the remaining 91 men in Guantanamo, 34 have been approved for transfer. The rest face ongoing, indefinite detention.

Obama wants these men to be transferred to federal facilities in the United States and has asked the Pentagon to come up with proposals for a “Guantanamo North” so he can shut the Cuban prison.

ADVERTISEMENT

But delays, bureaucratic hurdles and political opposition mean it is increasingly likely the clock will tick down on his presidency before Guantanamo closes.

Inmates are kept without recourse to the regular US legal processes and some likely will die in prison without ever being convicted of a crime.

ADVERTISEMENT

Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Stephen Colbert rips ‘idiot’ GOP senator for defending Trump’s unconstitutional self-dealing

Published

on

"Late Show" host Stephen Colbert returned from New Zealand for a new show that aired Monday evening.

"I have been as far from the insatiable black hole of news that is Donald Trump as you can get on this planet.

I've heard there have been some developments over the last 10 days that did not go well for Donnie,"

The host ripped Trump's 71-minute press conference.

"Seventy-one minutes is not a press conference, it's a one man show," he explained. "If you liked 'Fleabag,' you'll love Donald Trump in 'Douchebag,'" he said.

[caption id="attachment_1555275" align="aligncenter" width="800"] ‘The Late Show’ graphic (screengrab)[/caption]

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Texas Republicans are abandoning the state’s GOP Speaker: ‘We no longer support him’

Published

on

Some of the most powerful Texas House Republicans said Monday they no longer support GOP Speaker Dennis Bonnen, marking the biggest blow yet to his political future amid the fallout from a secret recording released last week by a hardline conservative activist.

Five Republicans considered senior members of the lower chamber issued a statement withdrawing support for him: State Reps. Four Price of Amarillo, Dan Huberty of Houston, Lyle Larson of San Antonio, Chris Paddie of Marshall and John Frullo of Lubbock.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Donald Trump is making a mockery of Marco Rubio — and the Florida senator is letting him

Published

on

Sen. Marco Rubio was once one of Donald Trump’s most formidable opponents; now, the Florida senator bends over backward to excuse the president’s corruption.

In 2016, Rubio and Trump sparred frequently on the Republican primary debate stage. Trump picked the uninspired nickname “Little Marco” for the senator, which didn’t seem to do much damage on its own, but Rubio never gained the momentum or strength that his backers hoped would prove to be strong enough to take down the reality TV candidate. As Rubio grew desperate, he launched one of his most memorable and pitiful attacks by stooping to his opponent’s level, implying that Trump had a small penis. It was more of an embarrassing moment for Rubio than anyone else, though Trump helped himself with a crude rejoinder.

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image