A former border vigilante, frequent Fox News guest and accused child molester has abandoned his plan to personally cross-examine two alleged victims during his upcoming trial.
Chris Simcox, who is representing himself in the case, told a Maricopa County judge that he was waiving his bid to question the girls, who are currently 8 and 9 years old, and would let another attorney do so on his behalf, reported the Phoenix New Times.
The 55-year-old Simcox has been fighting efforts by prosecutors and the victims’ lawyers to make his advisory counsel or the judge question the girls to avoid further traumatization.
But the attorney for one of the girls’ mother said Simcox, the former head of the Minutemen border militia group and a frequent guest on Sean Hannity’s Fox News program, had “completely thrown in the towel” in an effort to get his trial underway.
The girl’s mother told the New Times that she believes Simcox got tired of sitting in jail, where he’s being held without bond, for an extra year while the court battle played out.
Her attorney, who is working pro bono, filed a petition with the U.S. Supreme Court last month asking for a ruling on whether accused child molesters have a right to cross-examine their victims in court.
Both Simcox’s attorney, along with the attorney for the girl’s mother and even the judge, want the Supreme Court appeal to remain in place in case the former militiaman appeals a possible conviction and to provide a guideline in other cases where accused molesters represent themselves.
Simcox, who once ran a long-shot Republican campaign for U.S. Senate, faces six counts involving sexual conduct with a minor, child molestation and furnishing obscene items to a minor.
His trial is scheduled to begin April 4.