Quantcast
Connect with us

Florida cop killed an unarmed man with a shot to the face — now he might be forced to pay up

Published

on

The family of an unarmed suspect who was shot in the face by a Volusia County, Florida deputy will present its case for punitive financial damages to the Volusia County Council on April 21, according to the Daytona Beach News-Journal. Derek Cruice, a 26-year old Caucasian man, was killed in the early morning hours on March 4, 2015. Deputy Todd Raible shot Cruice upon entering his house because Cruice’s hands were together, as if he were holding a gun. A search of the house revealed no evidence of firearms on the premises.

ADVERTISEMENT

Deputies were tipped off anonymously that there were drugs in the house. After Cruice was killed, a search turned up $3,000 in cash, a half pound of marijuana, a scale, and a drug ledger. Conflicting accounts of what happened that morning were heard by a grand jury in testimony that lasted  two days, but the jury declined to indict Raible on charges of “manslaughter by culpable negligence.” Charges of murder were never considered because the case didn’t fit within the definition of the law, State Attorney R.J. Larizza said.

Now, Cruice’s family is suing Volusia County, which includes the city of Daytona Beach, for violating Cruice’s constitutional rights. The Volusia County Council will hear the details of the lawsuit on Thursday.

According to Raible, who was taking point on the drug raid, he knocked on the door several times, announcing that deputies had a warrant. When no one opened the door, Raible kicked it in. Cruice had been right by the door, looking through the peephole. Cruice stepped out of the way of the door, and then, according to Raible, Cruice moved “aggressive, fast, and determined” toward him while extending his left hand. Believing that Cruice was armed, Raible shot him in the face, and the bullet severed a major artery and entered Cruice’s C-2 vertebra.

Samantha Sterret, Cruice’s longtime girlfriend, disputes Raible’s narrative. She says that Cruice, who was only wearing boxers and a pair of shorts, was nearly knocked over by the door being kicked down, and then, before Cruice could surrender, Raible fired. She says that Raible did not order Cruice to raise his hands or lower his weapon, but shot him without warning. Raible admits that he doesn’t remember whether he said the warning words, but he says that he had served so many warrants in his life that the words would have been automatic.

Other deputies on the scene insisted that Raible did order Cruice to put his hands up. Raible said he only had three-to-five seconds to make a decision. After determining that he had shot an unarmed man, Raible fell to his knees in the front yard, and said, “No one is going to understand, and they are going to take away my sons, and they are going to take me to jail.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“It hurts,” said Cruice’s mother, Sheila Cruice, when the grand jury failed to indict Raible. “It shouldn’t have happened the way that it did. In my heart, it shouldn’t have happened. I just want it to be made right.”

Cruice’s family is seeking $500,000 for the violation of Cruice’s constitutional rights. County Council members have declined to comment on the claim.

ADVERTISEMENT

Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Newly released emails show White House prepared to freeze Ukraine aid hours before Trump’s phone call

Published

on

White House budget officials were preparing to freeze aid to Ukraine the night before President Donald Trump's infamous July 25 phone call to the country's new president, according to newly released emails.

The Office of Management and Budget handed over nearly 200 pages of records related to the president's actions toward Ukraine to the transparency group American Oversight, and one of the heavily redacted emails from July 24 shows OMB officials shared a “Ukraine Prep Memo” with Michael Duffey, reported CNN.

Continue Reading

Ana Kasparian's #NoFilter

Trump impeachment trial: 4 stories from first day spell doom for Mitch McConnell

Published

on

If the score was kept for the first day of the impeachment trial, it would show hefty losses for Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

As Former Special Counsel for the Department of Defense, Ryan Goodman, pointed out, four major headlines perfectly reflect the cracks in the strangle-hold McConnell has had on his party.

First, McConnell was forced to change the impeachment hearing rules. After a huge uprising by Americans demanding to be able to watch the impeachment trial during normal human hours, senators told McConnell he'd lost the votes to hold proceedings after midnight.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

‘Disease fanboy’: Internet slams NBC conservative for ‘rooting for pandemic’ to distract from Trump impeachment trial

Published

on

Hugh Hewitt is once again under fire, this time for almost appearing to be glad a deadly SARS-related virus has been diagnosed in a patient in Washington state – saying additional diagnoses will take the focus away from the Senate's historic impeachment trial. Hewitt is a conservative Washington Post columnist, radio host, MSNBC and NBC contributor, and law professor who went from being a "Never-Trumper" to all-in for President Donald Trump.

"People care much more for their health than theater," said Hewitt via Twitter, referring to Trump's impeachment trial. The SARS-related virus, known as the Wuhan coronavirus, is named for an area of China where it was first found. It "has infected more than 300 people and killed six in an outbreak that has struck China, Thailand, South Korea, Japan and now the US," CNN reports.

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image