Quantcast
Connect with us

California high school claims Muslim student identified as ‘Isis’ in yearbook was a ‘misprint’

Published

on

Screenshot from Los Osos High School yearbook of Muslim student misidentified as "Isis"

The principal of a California high school has launched an investigation after the school yearbook was published with a Muslim student identified under her photo as “Isis Phillips.”

According to The Islamic Monthly, Los Osos High School student Bayan Zehlif opened her yearbook only to see her name replaced with Isis — a reference to a Middle Eastern terrorist group.

ADVERTISEMENT

On Twitter Zehlif posted a screenshot from the book with the comment, “I guess I’m Isis in the yearbook…”

After friends encouraged her to share the slight with school administrators, the Los Osos principal announced an investigation, calling the slur a “misprint.”

Writing on Twitter, principal Susan Petrocelli commented, “LOHS is taking every step possible to correct & investigate a regrettable misprint discovered in the yearbook. We sincerely apologize.”

In an interview with Islamic Monthly, Petrocelli said the school once had a student named Isis Phillips who still attends classes in the district.

Zehlif isn’t buying it.

“The school reached out to me and had the audacity to say that this was a typo. I beg to differ, let’s be real,” she explained.

ADVERTISEMENT

According to Petrocelli, “I would never say it was a typo or a mistake. As I told Bayan’s family, this matter has to be thoroughly investigated first.”

The principal stated that only 287 yearbooks have been distributed so far at the school attended by 3,000 students The rest of the yearbooks are currently locked up and school officials are working with the publisher to correct the error.

Zehlif’s and Petrocelli’s tweets below:

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

‘Trump endangered America’s democracy’: President’s delusion broken down in brutal WaPo analysis

Published

on

President Donald Trump's refusal to accept the fact that he lost the 2020 presidential election was the focus of a Washington Post deep-dive published online Saturday night.

The story, by Philip Rucker, Ashley Parker, Josh Dawsey and Amy Gardner, was titled, "20 days of fantasy and failure: Inside Trump’s quest to overturn the election."

"The facts were indisputable: President Trump had lost. But Trump refused to see it that way," the newspaper reported. "Sequestered in the White House and brooding out of public view after his election defeat, rageful and at times delirious in a torrent of private conversations, Trump was, in the telling of one close adviser, like 'Mad King George, muttering, ‘I won. I won. I won.'’"

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Female kicker makes college American football breakthrough

Published

on

Vanderbilt University kicker Sarah Fuller made collegiate American football history Saturday as the first woman to play in a "Power Five" contest in the Commodores' 41-0 loss to Missouri.

Fuller, goalkeeper for the school's Southeastern Conference champion women's soccer squad, was given the chance to play on the gridiron after Covid-19 testing left Vanderbilt without a kicker.

"I was really excited to step out on the field and do my thing," Fuller said.

Because Vanderbilt's offensive unit sputtered, her contribution was limited to a single play -- the second-half kickoff. She punched the ball to the Missouri 35-yard line, a tricky low offering compared to the usual deeper kicks, where the Tigers fell upon it.

Continue Reading
 

2020 Election

Republican’s own standing in Congress now in doubt — did his voter fraud lawsuit backfire?

Published

on

A Republican congressman from Pennsylvania has cast doubt on his own legitimacy to serve in Congress with his failed lawsuit attempting to overturn the 2020 election results.

Rep. Mike Kelly (R-PA) attempted to have the courts block certification of the 2020 election results, but his effort was rejected by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court on Saturday.

"The PA Supreme Court dismisses the case brought by U.S. Rep. Mike Kelly that sought to overturn last year’s law creating no-excuse mail voting and to throw out those mail ballots cast in this election," Philadelphia Inquirer correspondent Jonathan Lai reported Saturday. "This is the case the Commonwealth Court had earlier blocked certification in."

Continue Reading