Quantcast
Connect with us

Ex-SC policeman indicted on federal charges in shooting of unarmed black man Walter Scott

Published

on

A white former police officer has been indicted in U.S. court on a civil rights violation and a charge of lying to investigators after he fatally shot a black man following a traffic stop in South Carolina last year, court records unsealed Wednesday show.

Michael Slager shot Walter Scott without legal justification in April 2015, a federal grand jury found, depriving the motorist of his right to be free from the use of unreasonable force by a law enforcement officer.

ADVERTISEMENT

The grand jury also charged Slager with discharging a gun during a violent crime and obstructing justice by intentionally misleading state investigators probing the shooting.

The shooting in North Charleston was one in a series of incidents that drew national attention amid concerns about the use of force against minorities by police in cities across the United States.

The federal charges against Slager mark a rare instance of U.S. prosecutors taking action in a case involving alleged misconduct by a police officer, said Justin Bamberg, a lawyer for Scott’s family.

“It sends a very strong message,” Bamberg said in a phone interview. “That conduct is unacceptable.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The civil rights violation carries a potential maximum sentence of life in prison because the incident resulted in a death, he said.

A bystander’s cell phone video captured Slager firing eight times at Scott’s back after he fled a traffic stop for a broken tail light.

But Slager falsely told investigators with the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division that he fired his weapon at Scott while the motorist came toward him with a Taser, the indictment said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Slager, who was fired from the North Charleston force after the shooting, was previously charged with murder in state court. He maintains his innocence in that case, which is scheduled to go to trial in October.

His arraignment on the federal charges is set for 1:30 p.m. ET in Charleston on Wednesday.

Andy Savage, a lawyer for Slager, did not immediately comment on the federal case.

ADVERTISEMENT

(Reporting by Harriet McLeod; Additional reporting and writing by Colleen Jenkins; Editing by James Dalgleish)


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

US military had to bomb our own base in Syria because of Trump’s mistakes — and one Republican is furious

Published

on

President Donald Trump's decision to withdraw in Syria in less than 24 hours put American troops at risk as they were being fired on by Turkey. However, according to the Wall Street Journal , the military was also forced to bomb our own military base.

Republican Rep. Adam Kinzinger, who has been critical of Trump's decisions in the past months, pointed out the factoid in a tweet Wednesday evening, asking, "Is this the America you grew up believing in?"

https://twitter.com/RepKinzinger/status/1184650759377473536

"On Wednesday, the U.S. military said two F-15E jet fighters carried out an airstrike to destroy an ammunition-storage facility, latrines, tents and other parts of the Syria headquarters of the American campaign to destroy Islamic State after pulling its forces from the base," reported The Journal.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Maddow outlines how Giuliani and his arrested pals seem to be leading back to a corrupt Ukrainian oligarch

Published

on

MSNBC host Rachel Maddow detailed the way that President Donald Trump's personal lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, and his two recently-arrested business associates are now linked to an oligarch in Ukraine.

In an NBC News report earlier Wednesday, it was revealed that Giuliani's associates, Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman, were doing work with oligarch Dmytro Firtash.

The report revealed that Firtash was involved in getting partners for an oil and gas company while also helping with the effort to dig up dirt on former Vice President Joe Biden.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump accused of working to ‘obstruct his own impeachment’ by congressional attorneys: report

Published

on

On Wednesday, Politico reported that lawyers working for the House of Representatives issued a blistering court filing accusing President Donald Trump, among other things, of trying to use the power of his office to "obstruct his own impeachment."

The filing, part of the House Judiciary Committee's attempt to seek testimony from ex-White House Counsel Don McGahn, cites the White House's repeated efforts to block current and former Trump administration officials from testifying — and even some allies of Trump who have never held any position in his government.

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image