Quantcast
Connect with us

Maroon 5 cancels shows in North Carolina in protest at transgender bathroom law

Published

on

The band Maroon 5 is cancelling concerts planned in North Carolina, the latest musical act to take a stand against a state law on bathroom use that has been criticized as discriminatory against transgender people.

“This was a difficult decision for us to make as a band,” the American pop rock group said on its website on Friday.

“We don’t want to penalize our fans in North Carolina by not performing for them, but in the end it comes down to what we feel is morally right AS WE FEEL EVERYONE SHOULD BE TREATED EQUALLY.”

ADVERTISEMENT

With a law passed in March, North Carolina became the first state in the country to require transgender people to use multiple-occupancy public restrooms and changing facilities that correspond with the gender on their birth certificate rather than their gender identity.

The law, approved by the Republican-led legislature in a one-day special session, also blocks local governments from passing anti-discrimination ordinances that include protections based on gender identity and sexual orientation.

It has sparked lawsuits by both supporters and opponents of the law, and a mounting backlash from corporations, conventions, tourists and entertainers. Last week, the U.S. Justice Department asked a federal district court to declare that the state is violating the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

On Tuesday, renowned violinist Itzhak Perlman also backed out of a scheduled performance in North Carolina in protest of the law. Other performers who have canceled shows in the state include Bruce Springsteen, Demi Lovato, Nick Jonas, Boston, Pearl Jam, Ringo Starr and the group Cirque du Soleil.

The upcoming shows by Maroon 5, known for hits such as “Moves Like Jagger,” were to be held in Raleigh and Charlotte. The band’s decision drew praise and criticism from fans posting comments on its website.

ADVERTISEMENT

“You shouldn’t punish your fans who have no control over the politics!” one post said.

Republican Governor Pat McCrory’s campaign spokesman Ricky Diaz questioned the timing of the band’s “political statement.” McCrory is up for re-election in November.

“At this point, the only people they are hurting by hypocritically targeting North Carolina for selective outrage are their fans and the hardworking men and women servicing these shows while they keep tour dates overseas – even in Russia,” Diaz said in a statement.

ADVERTISEMENT

(Reporting by Colleen Jenkins; Editing by Frances Kerry)


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

‘Would be comical if it didn’t involve real lives’: Trump interview spotlights deadly failure of His COVID-19 response

Published

on

"If you wrote this as grotesque farce" for a movie script, wrote actor and progressive activist John Cusack, "no one would believe it."

In an interview with Jonathan Swan of Axios that aired late Monday, President Donald Trump sputtered, declared "You can't do that," and continued trying to downplay the massive and rising coronavirus death toll when confronted with the fact the U.S. has a higher mortality rate by percentage of population than major countries like South Korea and Germany.

Continue Reading

2020 Election

Is this Trump’s best shot at stealing the 2020 election?

Published

on

In a time of instability and uncertainty, there's one thing we can count on: Donald Trump will do everything he possibly can to retain power through the forthcoming election and beyond. His motives are well-known: If he loses the election, he'll not only go down in history as a one-term loser, which is anathema to his ridiculously hyperbolic puffery, but it's likely he'll face indictment on myriad criminal charges, while fighting off an avalanche of lawsuits aimed at his criminal negligence.
Continue Reading
 

2020 Election

Trump’s Axios interview put his ‘willful ignorance’ on full display for the country: Ex-RNC official

Published

on

In a column for the conservative Bulwark, the former spokesperson for the Republican National Committee said the interview Donald Trump participated in with Jonathan Swan of Axios should be put to rest any doubts anyone might have had that the president is out of his depth.

Reacting to the interview done in conjunction with HBO, Tim Miller -- who is now an advisor to the Never Trumper Lincoln Project -- claimed the president's comments about the CoVID-19 pandemic and resulting U.S. death toll that has raced passed 150,000 is a sign "Trump is fundamentally incapable of recognizing the true nature of what he calls the 'invisible enemy.'" 

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image