Texas suffered another loss in its attempts to block Syrian refugees from entering the state when a federal judge in Dallas on Thursday dismissed motions filed by the state to halt resettlement of refugees by a private relief agency.
U.S. District Judge David Godbey ruled the U.S. government, not individual states, has the authority to set immigration policy, and found that Texas brought no plausible argument to back its claims that the International Rescue Committee relief agency was unlawful in bringing Syrian refugees into the state.
Texas has been trying to stop the organization from bringing refugees into the state since December, when it filed its first suit in federal court in response to the group’s plan to resettle six refugees fleeing Syria’s civil war.
Texas has lost a series of court decisions since then to halt the restatement.
After the November attacks by Islamic State militants in Paris, Republican Texas Governor Greg Abbott was one of the first of more than 30 U.S. state governors, mostly Republicans, seeking to block the resettlement of Syrian refugees into their states, citing security concerns.
“This ruling is a strong rebuke of unconstitutional efforts to block refugee resettlement,” said Cecillia Wang, director of the American Civil Liberties Union’s Immigrants’ Rights Project and lead counsel for the International Rescue Committee,
The Texas Health and Human Services Commission had argued that the federal government and the relief agency violated their statutory duty under a law called the U.S. Refugee Act to consult with the state in advance of placing refugees in Texas.
“The Court previously determined that the Refugee Act does not confer a private right of action for the States to enforce its provisions,” Godbey wrote.
The Texas attorney general’s office was not immediately available for comment.
(Reporting by Jon Herskovitz; Additional reporting by Lisa Maria Garza in Dallas; Editing by Will Dunham)
Conservative newspaper hilariously trolls Trump about his failure to build any new border wall
The conservative Washington Examiner trolled President Donald Trump for his failure to construct any new border barricade during his 30 months in office.
On Monday, Trump lashed out at the media on Twitter for not giving him positive coverage for his wall, which he erroneously claimed would be paid for by Mexico.
The Examiner replied to Trump on Twitter, posting an article headlined, "Trump has not built a single mile of new border fence after 30 months in office."
Here’s how a new study implies the Supreme Court has killed 16,000 people since 2012
A new paper published by the National Bureau of Economic Research looked into the effects of the Affordable Care Act's Medicaid expansion to people below 138 percent of the poverty line, which has seen nearly 15 million people enrolled in participating states. The results were encouraging: the mortality rate for near-elderly adults has dropped over 9 percent in the four years for which data is available.
But while this is cause for celebration, The Atlantic staff writer Annie Lowrey offered a darker take on the implications of these numbers:
Trump lashes out at media for not pretending he has built a wall on the southern border
President Donald Trump lashed out at the media on Monday, complaining about a lack of coverage of the wall he claims he's building.
"When we rip down and totally replace a badly broken and dilapidated barrier on the southern border, something which cannot do the job, the fake news media gives us zero credit for building a new wall," Trump said.
"We have replaced many miles of old barrier with powerful new walls," Trump argued.
He did not mention the fact he had promised that Mexico would pay for the wall. Mexico is not footing the bill for Trump's project.