A federal judge has thrown out parts of a lawsuit filed by disgraced comedian Bill Cosby against one of his accusers, her mother, two lawyers and the publisher of the National Enquirer claiming that they violated a confidential settlement agreement.U.S. District Judge Eduardo Robreno, ruling on motions by the defendants to dismiss the case, said that Cosby could not sue Andrea Constand, her mother or attorneys for speaking to investigators about her accusations.
But Robreno let stand, for now, Cosby’s other claims, including that Constand, a former Temple University basketball coach, violated the confidentiality agreement through posts she made on twitter about the case and in comments to the Toronto Sun newspaper.
The judge said Cosby could sue Constand lawyers Dolores Troiani and Bebe Kovitz for an open letter they wrote about the case published in the Philadelphia Enquirer.
And the comic can also proceed with his claims against American Media, Inc., over articles it published about the case, Robreno said in the ruling, which was issued on Friday.
“While we are of course very pleased with the court’s ruling in favor of our client, which means that this case will be decided where it should be – in a court of law and on a full factual record – we will not comment further on the record,” Cosby spokesman Andrew Wyatt said.
Once one of the most beloved U.S. entertainers thanks to his family-friendly persona, Cosby, 78, is facing accusations of sexual assault from dozens of women stretching back decades. Most of the other claims involve incidents that are too old to produce charges.
Constand’s allegations, that he drugged and sexually assaulted Constand at his Pennsylvania home in 2006, are also the basis for the only criminal prosecution against him.
Cosby earlier this year sued Constand, her mother, two of her attorneys and American Media Inc., publisher of the National Enquirer, claiming that they had violated the terms of a 2006 confidential settlement agreement.
That pact stemmed from a lawsuit Constand filed against Cosby the previous year over the alleged assault and a separate legal action she took against the National Enquirer for defamation.
(Reporting by Dan Whitcomb; Editing by Chris Reese)
WATCH: Trump supporters celebrate video at his golf resort showing president conducting mass shooting
Supporters at President Donald Trump's Trump National Doral Miami showed a video depicting the president conducting a mass shooting. Instead of people's heads, however, it was replaced with logos of media outlets like PBS, NPR and others.
In the past, the president has advocated violence against CNN or other media, but has stopped short of advocating a mass shooting.
"Several of Mr. Trump's top surrogates — including his son Donald Trump Jr., his former spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders and the governor of Florida, Ron DeSantis — were scheduled to speak at the three-day conference, which was held by a pro-Trump group, American Priority, at Trump National Doral Miami," The New York Times reported Sunday. "Ms. Sanders and a person close Mr. Trump's son said on Sunday that they did not see the video at the conference."
Maggie Haberman details the insane few hours Trump had an impeachment lawyer — before he was basically out
For one brief day this week, President Donald Trump hired former Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-SC) to help him with a recently launched impeachment inquiry by the House. It took mere hours before the footage was revealed of Gowdy attacking the previous White House for not providing requested documents about Hillary Clinton.
While an impeachment inquiry is supposed to give more teeth to a Congressional investigation, the White House has still refused to cooperate, comply with subpoenas or even allow department staffers to appear and answer questions.
Trump goes after Fox News’ Chris Wallace after Shep Smith departure
President Donald Trump appears to be waging his own war against Fox News hosts that report the factual news and not opinions.
Friday, longtime Fox newsman Shep Smith was officially released from his contract, at his request and fellow Fox staffers are warning it's only the beginning. But now, it seems the president is seeing his sights on ridding the network of anyone who doesn't parrot his policies, politics, talking points or dares to fact-check him.