A shopping center in Munich, Germany was evacuated by police on Friday after a gunman opened fire inside, killing multiple people and injuring dozens of others.
The Guardian reported that police received an emergency call at about 6 p.m. local time of a man on a shooting rampage inside a pharmacy.
Police and rescue vehicles arrived at the scene within minutes, but the suspect had fled the scene. He is currently still at large.
The country has been on high alert since a man brandishing an ax attacked passengers on a train near the southern city of Würzburg earlier this week.
Live updates on this story are available at the Guardian.
Watch live video from the scene embedded below via Periscope:
— Kirit Radia (@KiritRadia) July 22, 2016
UPDATE 1:50 p.m. (EDT): Footage of the gunman is emerging online.
— TorstenBerlin (@TorstenSc) July 22, 2016
— teleSUR English (@telesurenglish) July 22, 2016
UPDATE 2:00 p.m. (EDT): Police confirm that three people are dead. Earlier reports that the shooting began in a pharmacy have been revised and now say that the rampage began inside a McDonald’s restaurant.
Police also say that they do not currently know the location of the attacker or attackers and advise people to avoid public places for the time being.
UPDATE 2:10 p.m. (EDT): Witnesses and police are now saying three armed shooters were involved in the attack. Some people are still inside the mall. Police are trying to evacuate them.
More video from the scene:
— Carlos Granda (@abc7carlos) July 22, 2016
UPDATE 2:49 p.m. (EDT): Live coverage from Britain’s SKY-TV.
UPDATE 2:55 p.m. (EDT): Citizens of Munich are using the hashtag #offentür — which translates to “open door” — to offer safe haven to people stranded in the city. Trains and public transportation have been halted and the police are still searching for the shooters.
UPDATE 3:06 p.m. (EDT): Officials now say that at least six people are dead. Police are looking for three attackers. The city’s central train station has been evacuated and citizens of Munich are advised to shelter in place until further notice.
UPDATE 3:10 p.m. (EDT): President Barack Obama has issued a statement regarding the attack.
“We don’t yet know exactly what’s happening there, but obviously our hearts go out to those who may have been injured,” Obama said. “We are going to pledge all the support they may need.”
UPDATE 3:47 p.m. (EDT): A Munich Police spokesman confirmed that the police are looking for three shooters. Only five people are confirmed dead, not six. The shooting reportedly began inside a restaurant and continued outside.
Everyone has been evacuated from the shopping center.
Islamic terrorism is not suspected in the incident.
“Please be careful if you have to go out at all,” the spokesman said. “We are urging people to stay in.”
UPDATE 4:05 p.m. (EDT): One witness video reportedly shows a gunman shouting back and forth with the man filming to flip. The man said that he is from Germany and railed against foreigners, but police have not confirmed whether the attack was spurred by nativism or anti-immigration animus.
Unconfirmed rumors say that one shooter has killed himself with a bullet to the head, but police declined to comment.
UPDATE 4:15 p.m. (EDT): Facebook has established a safety check-in point for people concerned about their friends and loved ones in Munich.
UPDATE 4:40 p.m. (EDT): Munich Police are now confirming that 8 people are dead. A state of emergency has been declared in the city.