A Texas cemetery has agreed to end its segregationist policy of only burying white people after it was sued for discrimination by a woman who claimed the operators refused to bury her Hispanic husband, court papers showed on Monday.
The town of Normanna, population 113, about 75 miles southeast of San Antonio, Texas, has maintained two cemeteries for decades, one for Latinos and one for whites, according to court documents.
Dorothy Barrera, who is white and wanted to be buried next to her husband of 40 years, said the Normanna Cemetery Association refused to bury the cremated remains of Pedro Barrera, a Latino, in the San Domingo Cemetery.
There was no immediately reply from the cemetery and a lawyer for the cemetery would not comment.
The plaintiffs maintained that the century-old San Domingo Cemetery was a whites-only cemetery board that was enforcing after-death segregation.
According to the court documents, the cemetery board said it denied her request because “he’s a Mexican” and told the widow to bury him “up the road” at the other cemetery “with the Mexicans.”
Under a settlement reached through U.S. District Judge Nelva Gonzales Ramos in Corpus Christi, Texas, the “defendants are prohibited from refusing to bury an individual in the San Domingo Cemetery on the basis of race or national origin.”
The defendants had previously admitted in court papers to refusing a request to bury Barrera in the cemetery but denied the decision had anything to do with race or ethnic origin.
“No Latinos are buried within the gates of the San Domingo Cemetery, which is enclosed with a chain-link fence,” plaintiffs said in court papers, adding about half of the area’s residents are Latino.
“(Segregated cemeteries) really are holdovers from another era in our state, and as the times change, local towns and cities need to change too,” said attorney Marisa Bono with the Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund, which helped litigate the case for the plaintiffs.
Mitch McConnell flattened by ex-White House official for plan to rush through Ginsburg replacement
Appearing with CNN host Anderson Cooper, former White House adviser David Gergen rained hell on Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) after he announced he would,d rush through a vote on a replacement for the late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg just hours after it was announced she had passed away.
Gergen, who served in the White House under both Republican and Democratic presidents seemed beside himself with anger when he talked about McConnell who notoriously blocked Merrick Garland from the court after being nominated by former President Barack Obama.
"Mitch McConnell has just thrown down the gauntlet, we're going to have a titanic fight over this," Gergen exclaimed. "Yes, as Jeffrey [Toobin] has said, it will mobilize a lot of people on the right, the hunger still to overturn Roe vs Wade to get social issues on the 6-3 court, they will think Donald Trump has delivered on his promises."
Brit Hume urges Trump not to ‘put the country through this’ by replacing RBG before the election
Fox News contributor Brit Hume reacted to the death of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg by cautioning Republican leaders against replacing the liberal icon before the November election.
Hume made the remarks on Fox News after noting that both President Donald Trump and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) have previously vowed to hypothetically have a nominee approved before the election.
"Lindsey Graham back in 2018... said that even if were were just into the primary season, he would not want to see a nominee advance in the election year," Hume explained. "I think the circumstances may have changed since [McConnell] outlined that."
Embattled GOP Senator caught fundraising on the Supreme Court within minutes of RBG’s death: report
Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg passed away on Friday night.
For many Americans, the death was so troubling that "No. No. No." trended nationwide on Twitter.
But for embattled Sen. Joni Ernst (R-IA), the death was apparently an opportunity to raise campaign cash, according to the local political website Iowa Starting Line.
Ernst is being challenged in November by Democrat Theresa Greenfield. The Des Moines Register newspaper is set to release new poll results on the race on Saturday.