Quantcast
Connect with us

British Ebola nurse ‘concealed temperature’ on return from Sierra Leone

Published

on

A Scottish nurse who contracted then recovered from Ebola is facing disciplinary action over allegations she concealed her temperature on her return from Sierra Leone, according to charges from a nursing watchdog seen by British media.

Pauline Cafferkey, 39, contracted Ebola in December 2014 when she was working in a treatment facility in Sierra Leone at the height of the epidemic which swept through West Africa.

ADVERTISEMENT

The nurse is alleged to have given dishonest answers to medical staff when she returned to Heathrow airport that month.

The Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) alleged in a case hearing published on their website that was later deleted, that Cafferkey “allowed an incorrect temperature to be recorded” on December 29, 2014 and intended to conceal from Public Health England staff that she had a temperature higher than 38C.

The NMC said an investigation into Cafferkey’s conduct was underway, with a case hearing scheduled for next month.

“Since these proceedings began the NMC has worked closely with Ms Cafferkey and her representatives to reach an outcome that is fair and meets the public interest in this case,” an NMC spokesperson said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Cafferkey initially recovered from the Ebola hemorrhagic fever and was sent home in January 2015.

But in October she fell ill again and doctors found the virus was persisting in tissues in her brain. They later said she had developed meningitis caused by the Ebola virus – the first known such case.

Cafferkey was readmitted to hospital for a third time earlier this year after falling ill.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ebola killed more than 11,300 people and infected some 28,600 as it swept through Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea from 2013 in the world’s worst outbreak of the disease.

The World Health Organization declared Sierra Leone free of the deadly haemorrhagic fever on March 17, Guinea on June 1, and Liberia on June 9.

(Reporting By Kieran Guilbert, Editing by Ros Russell; Please credit the Thomson Reuters Foundation, the charitable arm of Thomson Reuters, that covers humanitarian news, women’s rights, trafficking, corruption and climate change. Visit news.trust.org)

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Team Trump admits holding back billions for Puerto Rico disaster recovery

Published

on

Trump administration officials have admitted that last summer they knowingly withheld billions of dollars Congress appropriated to help Puerto Rico recover from Hurricane Maria.  House Democrats say withholding the relief money violates the law.

Federal law requires that our government help Americans hit by natural disasters. But two Housing and Urban Development officials acknowledged at a House Appropriations subcommittee hearing on Oct. 17 that HUD blocked the Puerto Rico relief funds.

The HUD delay meant the island missed a deadline to apply for billions of dollars in disaster relief funds, raising doubts about when, if ever, the money will flow to the island devasted in September 2017 by the Category 5 hurricane.

Continue Reading

Facebook

US to send top delegation to Saudi event: media

Published

on

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and presidential adviser Jared Kushner will lead an American delegation to Saudi Arabia's annual financial conference, US media reported Tuesday, after widespread boycotts of last year's event in protest at the murder of dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

Saudi reporter Khashoggi, a columnist for the Washington Post, was strangled and dismembered at the kingdom's consulate in Istanbul on October 2, 2018.

Dozens of top global officials and business leaders boycotted last year's Future Investment Initiative (FII), a lavish event dubbed "Davos in the desert", as international outrage over Khashoggi's killing peaked.

Continue Reading
 

Facebook

Woman who walked out after commissioner launched anti-gay attack on Dem running for president says she was ‘incensed’

Published

on

A Tennessee woman was the only person to walk out in protest of Sevier County Commissioner Warren Hurst's anti-gay and racist diatribe Monday night. The county commissioner decried the "queer running for president," calling it "about as ugly as you can get."

"Look what we got running for president in the Democratic party," Commissioner Hurst continued, saying he could "get better people" at the local jail "than those running for Democratic, to be President of the United States."

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image