'Nothing has changed': Mike Pence says 'Trump has been completely consistent' on deportation force
Mike Pence speaks to CNN (screen grab)

Republican vice presidential nominee Mike Pence asserted over the weekend that Donald Trump had been "completely consistent" on his immigration policy.


CNN's Jake Tapper on Sunday noted that Trump had backed away from his pledge that a "deportation force" would remove 11 million undocumented immigrants from the United States.

"Nothing has changed about Donald Trump's position on dealing with illegal immigration," Pence insisted. "His position and his principles have been absolutely consistent."

"The choice could not be more clear for the American people," he added. "Donald Trump has been completely consistent in his positions."

"Except on this issue," Tapper pointed out. "The one issue you didn't really address is whether or not the 11 or 12 million undocumented immigrants will be removed by a deportation force as you heard Mr. Trump say in that clip from November of last year."

According to Pence, Trump was enunciating a "mechanism, not a policy" when he spoke of a deportation force.

"I think Donald Trump will articulate what we do with the people who are here," Pence said.

"He already has articulated," Tapper interrupted.

"Donald Trump is more concerned about the American citizens," Pence continued. "You've got a family in Ohio, the dad is working two jobs. Mom has a side job. They are trying to make ends meet. They haven't seen their real personal income go up in 10 to 15 years. And this flood of illegal immigration has contributed mightily to depressing wages in this country and denying jobs and opportunity to Americans."

"To be clear," Tapper replied. "You did not address whether there will be a deportation force removing the 11 or 12 million but I don't want to spend the entire interview on that one subject."

Watch the video below from CNN, broadcast Aug. 28, 2016.