Quantcast
Connect with us

Three dead, over 7000 rescued from deadly Louisiana flood waters

Published

on

Emergency crews have rescued more than 7,000 people stranded in Louisiana by historic flooding that has killed at least three people and submerged whole communities, Governor John Bel Edwards said on Sunday, as the U.S. Gulf Coast braced for more rain and rising waters.

Stranded residents have been pulled out of flooded homes and swamped cars in cities and towns across the southern part of the state, said Edwards, who has called for federal emergency relief funds.

ADVERTISEMENT

While the brunt of the storm that brought torrential rains and flooding to the area was moving west toward Texas on Sunday, Louisiana residents should remain cautious, the governor said at a news conference.

“Even with the sunshine out today intermittently, the waters are going to continue to rise in many areas, so this is no time to let the guard down,” Edwards said.

Some 5,000 people were forced to sleep in shelters overnight, state officials said. There were not enough beds to house all of the shelter-seekers, so many had to sleep on floors.

Emergency officials were still working on strategies to rescue an undetermined number of other people trapped by the waters, Edwards said.

Meanwhile, downpours threatened to trigger floods further west into Texas.

ADVERTISEMENT

The National Weather Service (NWS) on Sunday maintained a flash flood watch for parts of Louisiana and Mississippi and extended it to southeastern Texas, including the city of Houston, where rains left at least eight dead in late April.

More rains were expected in southern Louisiana, with NWS forecasting on its website that another 2-6 inches (5-15 cm) were possible on Sunday night in some areas, while 2-4 inches could fall in others and in parts of Texas.

Edwards, who described the flooding as “unprecedented” and “historic,” said he was awaiting a response to his request that the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) make a federal disaster declaration for affected areas of the state.

ADVERTISEMENT

He declared a state of emergency on Friday as rivers began to spill over.

In addition to the three dead in the flooding, another person is believed to be missing, Edwards said.

ADVERTISEMENT

On Saturday, the body of a woman was recovered from the Tickfaw River in St. Helena Parish, northeast of Baton Rouge near the Mississippi border.

Michael Martin, chief of operations for the parish sheriff’s office, said the woman was riding in a car with her husband and his mother when flood waters swept the vehicle into the river. Rescuers found the two others clinging to a tree on Saturday.

A 54-year-old man in Greensburg in the northern part of the state died when his vehicle was swept off the road, a Louisiana State Police spokeswoman said in a statement on Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT

The body of a 68-year-old man was recovered on Friday near Baker, Louisiana, close to the state capital, after he drowned while trying to evacuate, said William “Beau” Clark, the coroner in East Baton Rouge Parish.

(Additional reporting by Chris Prentice and Laila Kearney in New York; Editing by Frank McGurty and Alan Crosby)


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Facebook

Placido Domingo insists ‘I have never abused anyone’

Published

on

Famed Spanish opera singer Placido Domingo, accused by multiple women of sexual misconduct, denied the allegations Thursday in an interview in which he talked about getting over coronavirus.

"I've changed. I am no longer afraid. When I found out I had COVID, I promised myself that if I made it out alive I would fight to clear my name," he said in an interview with the Italian newspaper Repubblica.

"I never abused anyone, I'll repeat that as long as I live," he said.

Domingo, 79, had said in March he had been hospitalized for coronavirus in Acapulco, Mexico.

"It was a miracle to find my voice again... Two or three months ago I wasn't sure I would be able to sing again," he said.

Continue Reading

Facebook

LeBron James brushes off Trump blast: ‘We could care less’

Published

on

Los Angeles Lakers superstar LeBron James hit back at Donald Trump on Wednesday after the US President branded NBA stars who kneel during the national anthem "disgraceful."

The two-time Olympic gold medalist and four-time NBA Most Valuable Player rebuked Trump's comments in the aftermath of a 105-86 loss to Oklahoma City in the Orlando bubble as the league restarts following a four-month COVID-19 shutdown.

James smiled when asked about Trump's comments that he did more for the black community than any president except maybe Abraham Lincoln, who freed slaves in the 19th Century.

Continue Reading
 

COVID-19

Facebook, Twitter take aim at Trump ‘misinformation’

Published

on

Facebook and Twitter took aim at US President Donald Trump and his campaign Wednesday over a video post in which he contended that children are "almost immune" to the coronavirus, a claim they said amounted to "misinformation."

In an extraordinary move, Facebook removed the clip from the president's account -- the first time it has taken down one of his posts for violating its content rules.

The video -- an excerpt from a Fox News interview -- "includes false claims that a group of people is immune from COVID-19 which is a violation of our policies around harmful COVID misinformation," a Facebook spokesperson told AFP.

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image