A 64-year-old man was indicted for allegedly planting an improvised explosive device that failed to detonate outside a small-town Colorado police station, court records show.
David Michael Ansberry faces a maximum sentence of life in prison if convicted on the federal charge of using a weapon of mass destruction.
On Oct. 11 a detective found a backpack containing a cell phone connected to a battery and a suspicious powder outside the Nederland, Colorado, police station.
The five-officer police station was evacuated, along with neighboring businesses in Nederland, a mountain community of less than 2,000 people about 14 miles southwest of Boulder.
FBI agents were able to track the cell phone and obtain surveillance video of its purchase. The video showed a 3-foot 6-inch (107 cm) man with a ponytail wearing a baseball hat and on crutches buying the phone with cash. Authorities say the person in the videos is Ansberry.
Records also showed that Ansberry stayed at a Nederland motel the night of the attempted bombing.
He was taken into custody in Chicago days after the attempted bombing and initially charged in a criminal complaint with attempted destruction of a building or property by means of fire or explosive.
The indictment does not offer a motive for the crime.
(Reporting by Dan Whitcomb; Editing by Bill Trott)
Watch Anderson Cooper use the long-form of ‘BS’ while shutting down Rod Blagojevich on CNN
MSNBC anchor Anderson Cooper was visibly angered by claims made by former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich during a Friday evening CNN interview.
Blogojevich was sentenced to 14 years in federal prison for corruption while in office that included attempting to sell the U.S. Senate seat vacancy created when Barack Obama was elected president. His sentence was commuted by President Donald Trump.
Cooper lectured Blogojevich for getting sued while governor over a backlog of 3,000 clemency cases.
The CNN anchor described it as "a little ironic and frankly a little sad and pathetic and hypocritical."
Judge rules against Devin Nunes in $9.9 million lawsuit over the salacious Steele Dossier
Rep. Devin Nunes (R-CA) suffered a legal setback after losing a major lawsuit he had filed.
"A federal judge has tossed out a racketeering lawsuit House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes filed last year against the private investigation firm at the heart of the Trump-Russia saga," Politico reported Friday evening.
"Alexandria, Virginia-based U.S. District Court Judge Liam O'Grady's two-page order made short work of Nunes' suit, which sought $9.9 million in damages from Fusion GPS, its founder Glenn Simpson and a nonprofit watchdog group, Campaign for Accountability," Politico explained. "The judge also signaled that pressing on with the legal battle could result in sanctions against Nunes and his attorney, Steven Biss."
Devin Nunes is livid at report he helped Trump’s White House: ‘Who the hell is leaking this?’
The ranking Republican on the House Intelligence Committee is suing Washington, DC's hometown newspaper.
Rep. Devin Nunes (R-CA) announced that he was suing The Washington Post during a Friday appearance on Fox News.
“A senior U.S. intelligence official told lawmakers last week that Russia wants to see President Trump reelected, viewing his administration as more favorable to the Kremlin’s interests, according to people who were briefed on the comments,” The Washington Post reported Thursday. “Trump learned about Pierson’s remarks from Rep. Devin Nunes (Calif.), the committee’s ranking Republican and a staunch Trump ally, said one person familiar with the matter.”