Quantcast
Connect with us

‘A nightmare come true’: Trump’s refugee ban exiles two persecuted Christian families back to Syria

Published

on

President Donald Trump’s executive order banning Syrian refugees from entering the U.S. has forced two Christian families escaping the war-torn country to return to Damascus despite months of planning.

According to NBC10, the families, made of up two brothers along with their wives and two children, were pulled aside by Customs and Border Protection officials after arriving in Philadelphia where they were supposed to meet with family members.

ADVERTISEMENT

Instead, following new rules implemented by Trump’s Friday executive order, the families were placed back on Qatar Airlines and shipped back to Syria where an uncertain fate awaits them.

Said family member Joseph Assali of Allentown, “This is like a nightmare come true.  They’re all Christian citizens and the executive order was supposed to protect Christians fleeing persecution.”

According to Assali, the family had already gone through the process of obtaining visas and green cards months before Trump was elected. While an immigration attorney was summoned to the airport to assist, he arrived too late.

“They came as legal immigrants and were going to try sorting things out while they’re here,” Assali said, adding that they hoped to become American citizens.

ADVERTISEMENT

The executive order signed by Trump designated seven Muslim-majority countries as terrorist havens, requiring immigrants to the U.S. to be subjected to “extreme vetting.” Additionally, the executive order called for a moratorium on accepting refugees from Syria.

On Sunday, Trump defended his decision, saying Christians in the Middle East “are being executed.”

Watch video below:

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Volker’s deputy told Congress Ukrainians found out Trump froze their military aid ‘very early on’ — before the public knew: report

Published

on

According to transcripts released on Monday by House investigators, Catherine Croft, a special adviser for Ukraine and deputy to Kurt Volker, testified that Ukrainian officials became aware of President Donald Trump's decision to freeze military aide appropriated by Congress "very early on" — and long before the public became aware of the delay.

Croft, according to the transcript, told the House that Ukrainian officials "approached me quietly and in confidence to ask me about an [Office of Management and Budget] hold on Ukraine security assistance," and that she was taken aback by how quickly they became aware of it.

Continue Reading

CNN

Mick Mulvaney needs to get a lawyer: CNN’s Jim Acosta

Published

on

On Monday's edition of CNN's "The Situation Room," chief White House correspondent Jim Acosta said that acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney needs to hire a lawyer separately from the White House counsel, following new reports that the attorney for former National Security Adviser John Bolton is rejecting a legal alliance with him.

"There are reports that Mulvaney was sort of on thin ice as a result of that disastrous press briefing that he gave a couple of weeks ago," said anchor Wolf Blitzer. "Why does he need a private attorney, why isn't he represented by the White House counsel?"

Continue Reading
 

Facebook

Uber chief walks back comment about murder of Saudi journalist Khashoggi

Published

on

Uber chief Dara Khosrowshahi apologized on Monday after he called the assassination of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, in which Riyadh admitted responsibility, a "mistake."

"There's no forgiving or forgetting what happened to Jamal Khashoggi & I was wrong to call it a 'mistake,'" Khosrowshahi tweeted Monday morning as he walked back his remarks Sunday in an interview with Axios.

"I said something in the moment I don't believe. Our investors have long known my views here & I'm sorry I wasn’t as clear on Axios."

Khashoggi, a columnist for The Washington Post, was strangled and dismembered at the kingdom's consulate in Istanbul on October 2, 2018, prompting harsh criticism of the country and de facto ruler Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image