Quantcast
Connect with us

Last day for SeaWorld killer whale show in California

Published

on

SeaWorld in San Diego will host its last killer whale performance on Sunday, the culmination of its promise to phase out the decades-old show after criticism of its treatment of the captive marine mammals.

SeaWorld Entertainment Inc President and Chief Executive Officer Joel Manby said in 2015 that the company would replace its signature theatrical killer whale show at the San Diego park with a new presentation focusing on conservation and orcas’ natural behavior.

SeaWorld last year also announced it would stop breeding killer whales in captivity, several months after the California Coastal Commission voted to bar the company from continuing to breed the marine mammals in the state.

The last so-called One Ocean show scheduled for Sunday brings to a close a commercially successful series of performances that have been held at SeaWorld San Diego under different names since the 1960s. Some fans continue to call the show by its previous name of “Shamu.”

The last theatrical orca show at SeaWorld San Diego comes after the death on Friday at Sea World Orlando of Tillikum, an orca involved in the deaths of three people which was featured in the 2013 documentary film “Blackfish.” The film made the case against keeping orcas in captivity.

ADVERTISEMENT

SeaWorld said that after Sunday’s final One Ocean show it will transition on Monday to an educational orca program, with bleachers set up around the killer whale underwater viewing area for guests to watch a presentation on the animals.

The company also plans to debut its larger education program called Orca Encounter in San Diego this summer.

“SeaWorld Orlando and SeaWorld San Antonio will follow by 2019,” the company added.

ADVERTISEMENT

Some activists have called for SeaWorld to release the more than 20 orcas it keeps at its three parks into coastal sanctuaries, but the company contends that whales born or raised in captivity would likely die in the wild.

(Reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis in Los Angeles)


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected]. Send news tips to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Here’s how lawyers enabling Trump’s obstruction can have their livelihoods stripped from them — by anyone

Published

on

In a column for the Daily Beast, a former Democratic member of the U.S. House of Representatives laid out a simple way to force lawyers advising aides to Donald Trump to defy Congressional subpoenas -- or avoiding one themselves -- to stop giving bad advice by moving to have them disbarred.

According to Brad Miller, who represented North Carolina in Congress between 2003 and 2013, the way in which former President Bill Clinton's impeachment was handled -- and the penalty he eventually received -- is a road map for legal retaliation even if Democrats in Congress won't do it.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Lara Trump snarls at critics of ‘send her back’ for pushing a ‘biased, racially-charged narrative’

Published

on

Lara Trump, the wife of President Donald Trump's son Eric, has accused CNN anchor Anderson Cooper of pushing a "biased, racially-charged narrative" after he criticized her recent defense of the Trump administration over the "send her back" scandal.

This article first appeared on Salon.

"Anyone insinuating that there was some premeditated plan to orchestrate the “send her back” chant is obviously desperate to continue pushing a biased, racially-charged narrative. #FakeNews," Trump posted to her Twitter account on Saturday. She included a link to the Washington Examiner, a right-leaning newspaper which included a quote from Cooper blasting Trump for supposedly "lying" about her role in whipping up a crowd to chant "send her back" about Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn.

Continue Reading
 

2020 Election

Trump’s trade war with China has led to foreign investments in the US drying up: report

Published

on

Not only are U.S. manufacturers and farmers feeling the devastating brunt of Donald Trump's ongoing trade war with China -- among other countries -- now the New York Times reports that foreign investors no longer see America as a safe bet to park their money.

According to the report, "the once steady flow of Chinese cash into America, with Chinese investment plummeting by nearly 90 percent since President Trump took office."

With the report stating, the drop-off "stems from tougher regulatory scrutiny in the United States and a less hospitable climate toward Chinese investment, as well Beijing’s tightened limits on foreign spending," one analyst blamed the increasingly hostile trade relationship between the two countries.

Continue Reading
 
 
 

Copyright © 2019 Raw Story Media, Inc. PO Box 21050, Washington, D.C. 20009 | Masthead | Privacy Policy | For corrections or concerns, please email [email protected]

Join Me. Try Raw Story Investigates for $1. Invest in Journalism. Escape Ads.
close-image