Quantcast
Connect with us

No charges for Los Angeles officers who killed unarmed black man

Published

on

Two Los Angeles police officers who fatally shot an unarmed black man described by his lawyer as mentally challenged will face no criminal charges over the 2014 killing, the district attorney said on Tuesday, calling their actions “legally justified.”

The killing of 25-year-old Ezell Ford was one of many shootings of unarmed black men by U.S. law enforcement that triggered national protests and fueled a renewed civil rights movement known as Black Lives Matter.

ADVERTISEMENT

In a redacted report, Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey said Officers Sharlton Wampler and Antonio Villegas spotted Ford leaving a “known gang area” on Aug. 11, 2014, and suspected he was trying to dispose of something illegal.

As Wampler tried to apprehend Ford, the two men scuffled and ended up on the ground with Ford reaching for the officer’s gun, according to the report.

Villegas then shot Ford twice, the report said, while Wampler pulled out a backup weapon, reached around Ford’s back, and also shot him.

“Although the loss of Mr. Ford’s life is tragic, we believe the officers’ actions were legally justified and the evidence supports our decision,” Lacey said in a statement.

ADVERTISEMENT

The family’s attorney, Steve Lerman, said that while Lacey’s decision was expected, it was disappointing.

“It’s politics as usual,” said Lerman, who represented motorist Rodney King, who sued the Los Angeles Police Department after he was beaten by officers in 1991 in an attack that was filmed by a witness and broadcast around the world.

“It’s very discouraging. Unless criminal penalties are imposed on officers who commit homicidal acts, then there is no justice for anybody, whether it’s black, white, brown or other,” the lawyer said in a phone interview.

ADVERTISEMENT

Lerman, who said Ford suffered from schizophrenia and manic depression and had the “thinking pattern of a child,” said he had been in settlement negotiations with the city over a $75 million lawsuit filed by Ford’s family.

Lacey’s decision not to file criminal charges came almost 20 months after the Los Angeles Police Commission ruled that Wampler violated several department policies in the killing. Villegas was cleared in the shooting.

Both officers were taken off street duties. That prompted the pair to sue the city last year, alleging the move was racially motivated. Villegas is Latino and Wampler is white.

ADVERTISEMENT

(Reporting by Curtis Skinner in San Francisco; Editing by Daniel Wallis and Peter Cooney)


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

UAW strike ‘threatens to upend the economy in Michigan’ — and could destroy Trump’s re-election: report

Published

on

At the end of the first week of a major strike by the United Auto Workers, the employment standoff threatens to upend President Donald Trump's 2020 re-election map, the Chicago Times reported Saturday.

Approximately 46,000 workers have been striking against General Motors.

There are two major threats to Trump's campaign from the strike.

The first is that the strike could cause regional recessions -- threatening Trump's political standing in key Rust Belt states.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Security forces fired live rounds at protesters calling for the ouster of Egyptian president: report

Published

on

Egyptian security forces clashed with hundreds of anti-government protesters in the port city of Suez on Saturday, firing tear gas and live rounds, said several residents who participated in the demonstrations.

A heavy security presence was also maintained in Cairo's Tahrir Square, the epicentre of Egypt's 2011 revolution, after protests in several cities called for the removal of general-turned-president Abdel Fattah al-Sisi.

Such demonstrations are rare after Egypt effectively banned protests under a law passed following the 2013 military ouster of Islamist ex-president Mohamed Morsi.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

‘They have gone totally CRAZY!!!!’: Trump freaks out about other people acting nuts

Published

on

After a disastrous week dominated by news about the whistleblower alleging President Donald Trump committed misconduct in office, President Donald Trump lashed out at the media for covering his scandals.

In Trump's mind, however, it was the media who "had a very bad week" as he repeated his call that journalists are "The Enemy of the People!"

Trump, who has almost 65 million followers on Twitter, claimed without evidence that the press doesn't check facts, makes up facts and even make up sources.

Trump then claimed it is the media who have gone "totally crazy" he argued, with "crazy" in all capital letters and followed by four exclamation points.

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Investigate and Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image