Quantcast
Connect with us

‘I’m very concerned as a human being’: John Oliver slams Trump’s ‘viscerally offensive’ Muslim ban

Published

on

John Oliver on Tuesday said he finds Donald Trump’s executive order on immigration “viscerally offensive,” noting as someone who’s been through the U.S. immigration system—and “as a human being”—he’s “very concerned” by the ban.

“As a white, male human being, with a generic first and last name, coming from Great Britain, sponsored by a series of TV production companies in America, and [speaking] absolutely crystal-clear, perfect English, I’ve seen the system at its easiest,” the Last Week Tonight host told Dan Rather.

“So if I’m getting the best of the system, I really fear for the people getting the system at its worst,” Oliver said. “And also, as an immigrant, I guess that’s one of the reasons I find some of these actions taken through the executive order so viscerally offensive.”

“It is offensive to me to see how immigrants are being treated,” he added.

Trump signed his controversial executive order on Jan. 27, barring visitors from seven predominantly Muslim countries and suspending the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program. The order immediately impacted hundreds of travelers en route to their destinations and “provisionally revoked” up to 60,000 visas.

Oliver, whose wife Kate Norley enlisted in the U.S. Army after 9/11 and served as a combat medic in Fallujah and Ramadi, also took aim at the ban’s far-reaching impact on foreign interpreters and contractors who have worked with U.S. military.

ADVERTISEMENT

“You talk about visas, the translators who have worked for our military in Iraq and Afghanistan,” Oliver said. “They have bled for this country without ever having visited it. They have sacrificed family members, something which our president has not done. He has not done either of those things. So for him to see them as a threat to this country rather than a proud benefit, is pretty hard to swallow.”

[h/t The Hill]

Report typos and corrections to [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Right-wing radio show ratings tank as host undermines Trump’s ‘promises made, promises kept’ re-election slogan

Published

on

The fact Donald Trump's base sticks with him no matter what he does is negatively impacting a conservative radio host attempting to hold the president accountable for his campaign promises.

Michael Alan Weiner, who goes by the stage name Michael Savage, hosts the "Savage Nation" radio show.

The host once praised Trump as the "Winston Churchill of our time" has been criticizing the president recently, The New York Times reported Tuesday.

"Now Mr. Savage is an outlier once again, dismayed more each day as the budget deficit continues to swell, thousands of new migrants are apprehended at the border, and the wall Mr. Trump promised to erect and make Mexico pay for remains unbuilt," The Times explained.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

LISTEN: Here’s the creepy broadcast at Trump’s rally telling supporters the right way to deal with protesters

Published

on

On Tuesday, President Donald Trump officially kicked off his 2020 re-election campaign in Orlando, Florida.

Those who entered the venue were treated to a pleasant female voice booming out instructions to protestors — and a creepy warning.

"While we all have the rights to free speech, this is a private event paid for and hosted by Donald J. Trump for President, Inc., and you came to hear the president," said the voice. "To accommodate the right to free speech and peaceful assembly, while ensuring an orderly rally, we have provided a secure area outside the venue for all protesters, and we ask anyone wishing to demonstrate to please exit to that secure area."

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Ukrainian-Russian developer with Trump Tower Moscow ties suing after getting bilked for $200,000 at inauguration

Published

on

It is illegal for foreigners to donate to presidential inaugurations, but a new lawsuit sheds light on how wealthy foreigners attempted to buy access to the Trump administration.

"A Ukrainian-Russian developer who wanted access to President Trump’s inauguration filed a lawsuit on Tuesday saying he was bilked out of the $200,000 he paid for what he thought would be V.I.P. tickets to the event," The New York Times reported Tuesday.

"The developer, Pavel Fuks, who once discussed a Moscow real estate project with Mr. Trump, said in the lawsuit, filed in the United States District Court for the Central District of California, that he had paid the money to a firm at the direction of Yuri Vanetik, a prominent Republican fund-raiser and sometime lobbyist," the newspaper explained. "But, the lawsuit said, Mr. Vanetik failed to come through with the promised tickets, and Mr. Fuks ended up watching the inauguration from a Washington hotel bar."

Continue Reading
 
 

Copyright © 2019 Raw Story Media, Inc. PO Box 21050, Washington, D.C. 20009 | Masthead | Privacy Policy | For corrections or concerns, please email [email protected]

I need your help.

Investigating Trump's henchmen is a full time job, and I'm trying to bring in new team members to do more exclusive reports. We have more stories coming you'll love. Join me and help restore the power of hard-hitting progressive journalism.

TAKE A LOOK
close-link

Investigating Trump is a full-time job, and I want to add new team members to do more exclusive reports. We have stories coming you'll love. Join me and go ad-free, while restoring the power of hard-hitting progressive journalism.

TAKE A LOOK
close-link