Quantcast
Connect with us

Trump uncertainty slowing US travel bookings: report

Published

on

Demand for travel to the United States over the coming months has flattened out following a positive start to the year, with uncertainty over a possible new travel order likely deterring visitors, travel analysis company ForwardKeys said on Monday.

ForwardKeys, which analyses 16 million flight reservations a day from major global reservation systems, also said that travel from the United States to and from the Middle East has been especially hard hit after President Donald Trump’s move to ban people from seven Muslim-majority countries.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Uncertainty reigns and the presidential rhetoric appears to be deterring visitors to the U.S.,” ForwardKeys founder Olivier Jager said in a statement.

U.S. travel demand is set to be a topic at hotel and travel conferences in Berlin this week.

The chief executive of hotels group Marriott International said it was too early for conclusive evidence and that currency moves could also be playing a role, particularly for travelers from Europe.

“The comments and actions of the new Trump administration are not helpful, but we’re not seeing the data that would suggest they’ve been terribly harmful,” Arne Sorenson told Reuters in Berlin on the sidelines of the IHIF hotels conference.

After the travel ban was imposed in January, international travel to the U.S. dropped by 6.5 percent in the following eight days, ForwardKeys data showed last month.

ADVERTISEMENT

In its latest update on Monday, ForwardKeys said bookings to the United States recovered after the courts halted the ban, but dropped again in the nine days after plans for a new ban were announced on Feb. 17.

Overall, bookings for travel to the United States over the next three months are 0.4 percent down on last year, whereas they had been 3.4 percent ahead the day before the travel restrictions were imposed.

The study also showed that accumulated U.S. bookings to the Middle East were up by 12 percent on last year in the three weeks before the ban. However, in the four weeks following the ban they were down 27 percent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Emirates and Qatar Airways, two of the Middle East’s biggest airlines, declined to comment when asked about demand on U.S. routes.

According to travel search site Kayak , searches from Europe for flights to the U.S. are down by 12 percent since the elections. However, Germans, some of the world’s biggest spenders on travel, have not been deterred, with searches up 10 percent in that period, Kayak said in data provided to Reuters.

ADVERTISEMENT

(Reporting by Victoria Bryan; additional reporting by Alexander Cornwell in Dubai; editing by Alexander Smith)


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

New York’s coronavirus crisis tracked back to European travel — not China: scientists

Published

on

The New York Times reported Wednesday that scientists have tracked the cases of coronavirus in New York back to travel from Europe.

The Times explained that genomes show the link to those who came down with the virus back in February.

President Donald Trump has been celebrating his decision to shut down some travel from China, though not all travel. A whopping 430,000 people have traveled from China to the United States since the coronavirus crisis.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Warrant for journalists from Jerry Falwell Jr. came from Liberty University’s own police

Published

on

A right-wing commentator interviewed Jerry Falwell Jr. during his show Wednesday, where Falwell said that there were two arrest warrants open for reporters who came onto Liberty University's campus.

Upon further examination of the warrant, the police officer who signed the warrant was Detective/Sgt. A.B. Wilkins 206 LUPD. The LUPD is not the Lynchburg Police Department nor is there a Sgt. or Detective A.B. Wilkins. It's the police department under the authority of Liberty University.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump defenders Diamond and Silk locked out of Twitter for spreading COVID-19 misinformation

Published

on

Fox Nation hosts Lynnette Hardaway and Rochelle Richardson, better known as Diamond & Silk, were temporarily locked out of Twitter on Wednesday for urging people to go outside and develop immunity against the coronavirus.

“The only way we can become immune to the environment; we must be out in the environment. Quarantining people inside of their houses for extended periods will make people sick!” the pair tweeted from their joint account.

A spokesperson for Twitter told Mediaite their account was locked over the tweet.

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image