Lawmakers in Minnesota sued the governor on Tuesday saying his veto last month of funding for their paychecks and their staff’s pay is unconstitutional, court documents said.
The development is the latest in a feud between leaders in the Republican-controlled legislature and Democratic Governor Mark Dayton that has escalated since last month.
The lawsuit, filed in the Ramsey County Court, claims Dayton has hobbled the ability of lawmakers to work by vetoing nearly $130 million in funding last month for the House and Senate’s compensation, benefits and other operating expenses for the 2018 and 2019 fiscal years.
The governor’s office declined to comment on the lawsuit.
Without the funding, the legislature is “unable to fulfill their constitutional obligations, will not be able to properly represent their constituents, and the people of the state of Minnesota are deprived of a constitutionally mandated voice in the administration of their government,” the complaint said.
Legislative funding covers paychecks for the 201 elected officials as well as about 400 staff and other bills, according to a report from the House’s public information system.
The lawsuit is seeking for the funding to be reinstated before July 1, when the new fiscal year begins, court documents said.
Dayton’s decision to veto the legislature funding stems from a move earlier this year in which Republican lawmakers linked a package of tax breaks to funding for the state’s 1,300 Department of Revenue employees in order to force Dayton to allow the tax package to become law.
Dayton vetoed the legislature funding on May 30 to force lawmakers back to the negotiating table on several other tax measures, including a tobacco tax and estate tax, he said.
Before the lawsuit was filed, Dayton met with Republican Senate Majority Leader Paul Gazelka and Republican Speaker Kurt Daudt on Tuesday morning, but Dayton said there was no movement and no compromise between the two parties.
(Reporting by Timothy Mclaughlin in Chicago; Editing by Lisa Shumaker)
REVEALED: Far-right extremists are circulating plans to lock down Arizona streets if Trump is re-elected
On Saturday, The Arizona Republic reported that far-right paramilitary groups are circulating plans to lock down neighborhoods in the Phoenix, Arizona metropolitan area in the event that President Donald Trump is re-elected, supposedly to police left-wing protesters.
"In Arizona, the head of the Prescott-area chapter of the Oath Keepers group, which recruits military and law enforcement officers, has warned residents to be prepared to protect their neighborhoods from feared extreme left-wing protesters who would be upset should President Donald Trump be re-elected," reported Richard Ruelas. "Part of that the pro-Trump group'splan involved closing streets and assigning monitors to control access, according to a planning document shared with The Republic."
Conservatives are hopping mad that their clumsy Hunter Biden smear is a flop
Welcome to another edition of What Fresh Hell?, Raw Story’s roundup of news items that might have become controversies under another regime, but got buried – or were at least under-appreciated – due to the daily firehose of political pratfalls, unhinged tweet storms and other sundry embarrassments coming out of the current White House.
In 2016, Steve Bannon did an amazing job rolling out the Clinton Foundation nontroversy. He gave The New York Times and CNN early access to Peter Schweizer's book, Clinton Cash, and the outlets gave it mainstream credibility. Later, when the Uranium One story was thoroughly debunked, it didn't matter. The foundation remained under a pall of fuzzy suspicions.
GOP insiders give Pence little chance of ever being president after four years spent defending Trump: report
On Saturday, writing for The Washington Post, Ben Terris reported that many Republican consultants and insiders believe that Vice President Mike Pence's presidential ambitions are doomed, for several reasons.
"If you list the top 10 most likely people to have a strong shot at the nomination, maybe Mike Pence makes number nine or 10," said former Marco Rubio presidential campaign manager Terry Sullivan in the piece. "Maybe." Former Jeb Bush campaign spokesman Tim Miller agreed, saying, "I could maybe see him becoming the nominee, but president? I just don’t see it."