President Donald Trump on Friday fired back at the hosts of MSNBC's Morning Joe program.
Specifically, the president responded to allegations that the White House asked co-hosts Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski to apologize personally to Trump for their negative coverage of him in exchange for him telling the National Enquirer to back off of a negative story planned about the couple.
"Watched low rated Morning Joe for first time in long time," Trump said. "FAKE NEWS. He called me to stop a National Enquirer article. I said no! Bad show."
Watched low rated @Morning_Joe for first time in long time. FAKE NEWS. He called me to stop a National Enquirer article. I said no! Bad show— Donald J. Trump (@Donald J. Trump) 1498827308.0
Joe Scarborough quickly shot back at Trump on Twitter -- and claimed that he had a paper trail to back up his version of events.
"I have texts from your top aides and phone records," he wrote. "Also, those records show I haven't spoken with you in many months. Why do you keep lying about things that are so easily disproven? What is wrong with you?"
Yet another lie. I have texts from your top aides and phone records. Also, those records show I haven't spoken with… https://t.co/7BdZ6CrD7C— Joe Scarborough (@Joe Scarborough) 1498827740.0
Why do you keep lying about things that are so easily disproven? What is wrong with you? https://t.co/aAoUj5HYZS— Joe Scarborough (@Joe Scarborough) 1498827820.0
In a Washington Post editorial published Friday, Scarborough and Brzezinski revealed that the White House earlier this year contacted them about a purportedly scandalous story that would soon be published in the National Enquirer, whose boss David Pecker is a longtime Trump ally.
"This year, top White House staff members warned that the National Enquirer was planning to publish a negative article about us unless we begged the president to have the story spiked," they revealed. "We ignored their desperate pleas."