Outgoing White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus is playing the good soldier until the very end, as he refused to veer off his talking points during an interview with CNN’s Wolf Blitzer on Friday evening, just hours after his resignation was announced.
During the interview, Priebus loyally defended President Donald Trump and insisted that he wasn’t at all unhappy about departing the White House.
“But it’s only been six months, not very long,” Blitzer pointed out. “When you say [Trump] wanted to do things differently, tell us precisely what he said to you, why he wants to do things differently and why you concluded that didn’t include you.”
“I’m not going to get into that personal stuff,” he said. “The president is a professional, and I’m a professional and professional people don’t discuss private conversations in public.”
Elsewhere in the interview, Blitzer asked him to respond to comments made by White House Communications Direct Anthony Scaramucci, who earlier in the week called Priebus a “f*cking paranoid schizophrenic.”
Even when confronted with personal insults, however, Priebus would not take the bait.
“I’m not getting into that, Wolf,” Priebus said when asked about Scaramucci’s comments. “Look, it’s over. I’m moving on. I support the president, and I support [incoming White House Chief of Staff] John Kelly and the president’s agenda. So that’s all you’re going to get from me on that. I’m not going to get into the individual personal stuff.”
Watch the full interview below.
In rebuke to Trump, US Congress blocks Saudi arms sales
The US House voted Wednesday to block $8.1 billion in arms sales to Saudi Arabia and other allies, a rebuke of Donald Trump that will likely lead to a veto by the president.
Lawmakers, many of whom are outraged with the kingdom over Riyadh's role in the murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi last year, approved three resolutions that would prevent the controversial sales announced under emergency measures earlier this year by Trump.
The resolutions blocking the sales have already cleared the US Senate, and now go to the White House, where Trump is expected to issue a veto, the third of his presidency.
Six officials at Southwest Key, nonprofit running migrant child shelters, earned more than $1 million in 2017
The Texas-based group's former chief executive made $3.6 million that year.
Six high-ranking employees at a nonprofit organization housing thousands of migrant children for the federal government made at least $1 million for their work in 2017, according to tax filings released Tuesday.
The tax records show that Juan Sanchez, founder of Southwest Key Programs, the Texas-based nonprofit, earned $3.6 million in total compensation that year, which The Washington Post reported last week. They also showed that other prominent employees — including the group’s chief financial officer, who earned more than $2.4 million — were earning substantial, seven-figure salaries at the nonprofit.
‘Pure and simple evil’: MSNBC’s Morning Joe and Mika destroy Trump’s ‘racist and illegal’ taunts against Omar
MSNBC's Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski warned that President Donald Trump's attacks on Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) were both illegal and racist -- as well as an incitement to violence.
The "Morning Joe" co-hosts were appalled by the crowd's reaction -- chanting "send her back" -- to Trump attacks at a Greensboro, North Carolina, rally.
"Republicans shamed themselves by not calling racism, racism," Scarborough said. "I saw some people actually write columns that used to be respected trying to excuse the president's language and saying it's not racist, but the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the federal agency that Donald Trump oversees that enforces laws against discrimination, specifically outlined such language that the president used last night and that his crowd used last night as an example of bias."