Ohio put to death on Wednesday a 43-year-old man convicted of raping and killing a three-year-old child in what was the state’s first execution in more than three years after a lengthy legal dispute over the choice of lethal injection drugs.
Ronald Phillips was pronounced dead at the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility in Lucasville at 10:43 a.m. EDT (1443 GMT), the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction said in a statement.
The execution and had been delayed multiple times as a court fight plays out over the state’s use of a drug mixture for lethal injections. The U.S. Supreme Court had denied appeals from Phillips late on Tuesday.
Phillips in January 1993 was dating Fae Evans, the mother of three-year-old Sheila Marie Evans, when she left her daughter with Phillips in her apartment, according to court documents.
Fae Evans returned home to find the child motionless and cold. Sheila Marie Evans was brought to the hospital and underwent emergency surgery but died.
Doctors performed an autopsy and found extensive bruising as well as internal trauma, according to court documents.
Phillips confessed that he had become enraged when the girl would not respond to him calling her for breakfast, court documents showed.
He beat and then sexually assaulted the toddler. Phillips also admitted to previously raping the girl twice, according to court documents.
Phillips, “tried every day to atone for his shameful role in Sheila’s death,” and had earned his certification to be a minister, his attorneys said in a statement on Wednesday.
Ohio’s last execution took place in January 2014, when it became the first state to use a combination of the sedative midazolam and painkiller hydromorphone to execute Dennis McGuire.
McGuire’s execution took 25 minutes and witnesses said he gasped and convulsed for 15 minutes.
Ohio implemented a moratorium in 2015 due to difficulty in obtaining lethal injection drugs. The following year the state said it would restart executions using a new drug protocol.
A federal court ruled in January that Ohio’s new lethal injection process was problematic, delaying executions. A three-judge panel from the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the injunction in April, but that ruling was overturned in June by the full court.
Phillips’ execution is the second scheduled for this week in the United States. Texas plans to execute TaiChin Preyor, 46, on Thursday for killing a woman in a 2004 home robbery near San Antonio. There have now been 15 executions in the United States this year.
(Reporting by Timothy Mclaughlin in Chicago, additional reporting by Jon Herskovitz in Austin, Texas; editing by Ben Klayman, G Crosse)
New testimony adds 2 stunning — and previously unknown — details about the Ukraine extortion
New testimony released Monday from the House Intelligence Committee’s investigation of the Ukraine scandal included at least two new stunning details about the quid pro quo scheme at the heart of the matter.
Overall, the transcripts for depositions of Catherine Croft and Christopher Anderson, who were advisers to U.S. envoy Kurt Volker, built on the story of that we already know: that President Donald Trump pushed a shadow foreign policy to pressure Ukraine into investigating his political opponents, a scheme that involved using his office and military aid as leverage over the country in opposition to the official policy.
Trump blasted for his ‘Endorsement of Doom’ after Sean Spicer loses on ‘Dancing with the Stars’
Team Trump had gone all in urging supporters to vote for former White House press secretary Sean Spicer on the game show "Dancing with the Stars."
Votes had been urged by RNC officials and Trump himself had urged his 66 million Twitter followers to vote for Spicer.
Despite the full heft of the Trump campaign, Spicer lost on Monday's show.
Trump deleted his failed tweet urging votes for Spicer -- and instead said it was a "great try" by his former advisor.
Looks like this endorsement was as successful as your last one!
‘He’s misunderstood’: Nikki Haley tells Fox News how Trump is actually a really good listener
Former Ambassador to the U.N. Nikki Haley defended President Donald Trump during a Monday appearance with Fox News personality Sean Hannity.
Hannity asked the former South Carolina governor if Trump was "misunderstood."
"I do think he’s misunderstood," Haley replied.
"I can tell you, from the first day to the last day that I worked for the president, he always listened, he was always conscious of hearing other voices, allowing people to debate out the issues, and then he made his decision," Haley claimed.
She argued that, "I saw a president that was very thoughtful, looked at all of the issues, made decisions, and it was a pleasure and honor to work with him."