President Donald Trump on Wednesday appeared to rule out any further diplomacy with North Korea with an angry tweet in which he said that, “talking is not the answer!”
“The U.S. has been talking to North Korea, and paying them extortion money, for 25 years,” the president wrote. “Talking is not the answer!”
The U.S. has been talking to North Korea, and paying them extortion money, for 25 years. Talking is not the answer!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 30, 2017
North Korea this week fired a missile directly over Japan, despite the fact that Trump last week threatened to unleash “fire and fury” upon the country if it continued to threaten the U.S. and its regional allies.
Trump’s decision to take diplomacy off the table also contradicts his public statement from earlier this week in which he said that “all options” were on the table for North Korea.
It is unknown at this time if Trump’s tweet will carry any policy weight or whether Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and Defense Secretary James Mattis will simply ignore it to pursue more diplomatic measures to handle the North Korean crisis.