U.S. authorities on Monday charged a former radio host with fraudulently raising $20 million in a scam bearing the hallmarks of a Ponzi scheme, while hoping to cast a “spell” to silence lawyers trying to investigate her.
Dawn Bennett, who hosted “Financial Myth Busting with Dawn Bennett,” diverted about half of what she raised in a 2-1/2 year scheme to repay earlier investors, buy luxuries including many dozen pairs of shoes and pay back rent to the Dallas Cowboys for a luxury suite at AT&T Stadium, authorities said.
Prosecutors also disclosed the discovery in an Aug. 2 search of Bennett’s penthouse in Chevy Chase, Maryland, of two freezers containing sealed Mason jars bearing the initials of U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission lawyers, on whom Bennett may have hoped to cast a “hoodoo spell.”
Bennett was criminally charged with wire fraud, bank fraud and making false statements related to a loan and credit application, according to federal court records in Greenbelt, Maryland.
The SEC filed related civil charges on Friday against Bennett and her company DJB Holdings LLC, a Washington luxury sports apparel firm operating as DJBennett. (https://www.djbennett.com/)
A lawyer for Bennett did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
According to the SEC, Bennett, 55, who also has a home in Santa Fe, New Mexico, targeted mainly elderly or unsophisticated investors, and raised money from at least 46 investors by promising annual returns as high as 15 percent from DJB notes.
The criminal case included an affidavit from Federal Bureau of Investigation Special Agent Keith Custer detailing what he called Bennett’s “consciousness of guilt.”
It discussed evidence gathered from a search of her Chevy Chase penthouse, including the shoes, which were photographed, and instructions for a “Beef Tongue Shut Up Hoodoo Spell.”
Custer said these called for a spell-caster to say the name of the individual targeted by the “hoodoo spell,” synonymous with a “voodoo spell,” followed by “I cross and cover you[,] come under my command[.] I command you to hold your tongue.”
Consistent with those instructions, Custer said agents also found the Mason jars, “suggesting that Bennett had many times cast a ‘hoodoo spell’ in hopes of paranormally silencing the SEC attorneys investigating Bennett.”
The SEC had banned Bennett from the securities industry in July 2016 after she protested an enforcement case against her by ignoring it.
The cases are US v. Bennett, U.S. District Court, District of Maryland, No. 17-mj-02292; and SEC v Bennett et al in the same court, No. 17-02453.
(Reporting by Jonathan Stempel in New York; Editing by Richard Chang)
Colossal failure of leadership’: Trump ‘unfit’ for pandemic, ‘has blood on his hands’ says Pulitzer Prize winning paper
'Come November, There Must Be a Reckoning for the Lives Lost'
A Pulitzer Prize winning newspaper is responding to President Donald Trump's failure to manage the coronavirus pandemic, and is not holding back. The Boston Globe's editorial board, far from a bastion of far left liberalism, is denouncing the nation's President as "unfit for a pandemic."
"Much of the suffering and death coming was preventable. The president has blood on his hands," the Globe's editorial board writes.
Trump’s much-hyped Walmart and CVS coronavirus testing centers have been a massive flop
During a press conference last month, President Donald Trump brought several corporate bigwigs with him to announce that major retailers Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, and Target would all be making their parking lots available to set up drive-through COVID-19 testing centers.
"The goal is for individuals to be able to drive up and be swabbed without having to leave your car," the president said.
It's been nearly three weeks since that announcement, however, and CNN reports that companies have only set up five of these testing centers in the United States so far -- and that none of them are available to the general public.
Trump admin dropped the ball on Pentagon’s offer to deliver thousand of ventilators: report
According to a CNN report this Tuesday, the Defense Department offered two weeks ago to make thousands of ventilators available, but the Trump administration failed to take them up on the offer.
After offering to send 2,000 ventilators to FEMA and HHS, the Pentagon never got the go-ahead to ship them off or any sort of directions on where to send them to.
CNN reports that the Defense Department also made its testing labs available, but still hasn't heard back from the White House.
Read the full report over at CNN.