'They beat the crap out of him': New Jersey cops accused of breaking black man's jaw during traffic stop
Genesis Torres

Police officers in Trenton, New Jersey are under investigation for allegedly beating a 40-year-old black man in a parking lot after he was pulled over for running a red light.

According to the Trentonian, Genesis Torres claims two police officers tackled, punched and kicked him resulting in head injuries and broken bones after being stopped, with his attorney adding, they "beat the crap out of” him.

In a criminal complaint, police state that Torres fought with officers, however police bodycam footage of the incident does not exist, with Torres saying he has a witness who saw the altercation.

“When I got to the back parking lot, I seen two cops. They told me, ‘Don’t move, don’t move, don’t move.’ I put my hands up. As I’m falling down, they’re punching on me,” Torres explained, with his attorney, Robin Lord, adding, “They could have killed him.”

According to the report, Torres was hospitalized for three days after the incident with a broken jaw, nose, cuts and bruises and a concussion.

“This sh*t needs to stop and stop now. I’ve been complaining about police brutality in this city for decades. It’s about time they do something about it.” attorney Lord said, adding that she will be  filing a civil suit against the city.

In their report, police state that Torres, ran from them and fought back, stating: “Torres stiffened his body and refused to place his hands behind his back. Torres struck Detective Mejia’s forearms in an attempt free himself. Torres violently swung his arms with closed fists and struck at us as he attempted to escape.”

Torres claims that he was trying to get away from the police adding, "“I didn’t want to get shot. I didn’t want them to think I had a weapon.”

The alleged beating of Torres comes at a time when the Trenton Police Department is under fire for other racially charged incidents between police and citizens, with Mayor Eric Jackson refusing to give current police director Ernest Parrey Jr. a vote of confidence, saying he was still the chief "today."