Quantcast
Connect with us

Here’s the one thing conservatives and liberals might unite behind

Published

on

A bipartisan group of congressmen are urging President Trump to insist on “full public release” of the government’s JFK assassination records by October 26 and to “reject any claims for the continued postponement” of the records.

In two “sense of Congress” resolutions introduced Wednesday on Capitol Hill, the legislators call for the CIA, FBI and other federal agencies to release all of their records related to the November 1963 murder of President John F. Kennedy.

ADVERTISEMENT

JFK’s assassination generated six official investigations and widespread belief that the liberal president was the victim of a conspiracy and not of a lone gunman.

After the box-office success of Oliver Stone’s conspiratorial epic “JFK,” Congress unanimously approved the JFK Records Act on Oct. 26, 1992, mandating release of all government records related to JFK’s death within 25 years. Most of the files have been made public, but some 35,000 documents remained fully or partially redacted and have never been seen by the public, researchers or the media. By law, federal agencies must obtain the written permission of the president to keep these documents secret after this month.

“The president can be a real hero to the American people if he says the truth does matter,” Rep. Walter Jones (R-NC), leader of the effort, told AlterNet in a phone interview.

“Transparency in government is critical not only to ensuring accountability; it’s also essential to understanding our nation’s history,” said Sen. Charles Grassley (R-Iowa) in a written statement. “Americans deserve a full picture of what happened that fateful day in November 1963. Shining a light on never-before-seen government records is essential to filling in these blank spaces in our history.”

The CIA and FBI have not yet revealed whether they will appeal to Trump for continuing secrecy.

ADVERTISEMENT

“CIA continues to engage in the process to determine the appropriate next steps with respect to any previously unreleased CIA information,” spokesperson Nicole de Haay told AlterNet last month.

In a statement to AlterNet, the FBI press office said, “We do not have a comment to provide and suggest you reach out to the White House.”

The White House did not respond to request for comment.

ADVERTISEMENT

According to the National Archives online database, the unreleased records include CIA files on two senior officers involved in assassinations and four Watergate burglars, as well as the closed-door testimony of numerous JFK witnesses, such CIA spymaster James Angleton.

Diverse Supporters

The resolutions have attracted diverse support. The House measure, introduced by Jones, is co-sponsored by several members who served in Congress in 1992 and voted for the original JFK Records Act. They include liberal representatives John Conyers (D-Mich.), currently the longest serving member of Congress; Marcy Kaptur (D-Ohio), the longest serving woman in the House; Louise Slaughter (D-NY); and Gerry Connolly (D-Va.).

ADVERTISEMENT

The House Republican co-sponsors include conservative Reps. Dana Rohrabacher (R-Calif.) and first-termer Matt Gaetz (R-Florida).

The Senate resolution (S. Res. 281) was introduced by Grassley, the conservative chairman of the Judiciary Committee, and co-sponsored by liberal Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vermont), the ranking member of the committee.

“Chairman Grassley and I both believe that a government of, by, and for the people simply cannot be one that needlessly hides information from them,” Leahy said in a statement. “I look forward to continuing our efforts to make our democracy ever more transparent to the American people.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Jones said he will send a letter to all members of Congress seeking their support for the non-binding resolutions.

Jones also said he plans to contact Roger Stone, a confidante of Trump and a JFK conspiracy theorist. On Wednesday, Stone joined anti-conspiracist author Gerald Posner in a public statement calling for release of the JFK files.

“I will ask Mr. Stone to please use his influence with Donald Trump to encourage the president to join in this effort,” Jones added.

During the 2016 presidential campaign, Trump floated a bogus JFK conspiracy theory to smear Republican rival Ted Cruz.

ADVERTISEMENT

Four Revelations

The first batch of the last JFK records, released by the National Archives in July, generated several revelations that shed new light on the JFK story.

One top CIA counterintelligence official came to doubt the lone gunman theory in the mid-1970s and suspected Cuba might have been involved, according to Politico.

WhoWhatWhy reported on records showing that Earle Cabell, the mayor of Dallas at the time of JFK’s murder, was a CIA asset.

For AlterNet, I wrote about how CIA counterintelligence chief James Angleton repeatedly deceived Warren Commission investigators about the agency’s knowledge of Oswald’s pre-assassination activities.

ADVERTISEMENT

Collectively, the latest revelations pour cold water on the theory that the Soviet intelligence service, the KGB, was involved in JFK’s murder, while raising questions about the “Castro did it” theory and the role of the CIA in the events leading up to Nov. 22, 1963.

Whether any JFK records will remain secret after this month is up to President Trump. The conspiracy-theorist-in chief has three weeks to decide.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

‘No idea’: Defense Secretary claims he didn’t know White House was going to forcibly disperse protesters

Published

on

On Tuesday, NBC News held an interview with Secretary of Defense Mark Esper, who denied advance knowledge of the White House's actions against peaceful protesters the day before.

"I thought I was going to do two things: to see some damage and to talk to the troops," said Esper. "I didn't know where I was going. I wanted to see how much damage actually happened." He said he believed they were only going to observe the damage to the bathroom in Lafayette Square, which had been vandalized.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Fox News ‘wants to scare white people’ by pushing ‘a disinfo campaign from white nationalists’: report

Published

on

Fox News was blasted by one of the network's former reporters for running a disinformation campaign from "white nationalists" as cities across the country deal with crises of civil unrest.

On Tuesday, Fox News ran a story from a single government source alleging Antifi would be causing mayhem in the suburbs.

"Agitators behind the rioting that has paralyzed the country over the past week want to move into more suburban areas, a government intelligence source has told Fox News," Hollie McKay reported for the network. "Much of the worry stems from the notion that many in well-armed, suburban, and rural neighborhoods won't hesitate to exercise their Second Amendment rights and elevated anxieties could lead to heavy confrontation. 'Antifa knows this," said the source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity. "Local and state authorities have to get a grip on this because if it moves to the suburbs, more people will die.'"

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump personally asked what ‘tanks’ could be used to break up George Floyd protests: report

Published

on

On Tuesday, The Daily Beast detailed how President Donald Trump himself has been behind the push to use the military to control the protests against the police killing of George Floyd — to the extent that he actually asked about specific military equipment that would be available for that purpose.

"[Defense Secretary Mark] Esper, along with other cabinet secretaries, stood next to the president during the remarks in the park after participating in an hour-long call with governors in which he said they needed to 'dominate the battlespace' to quell the protests," reported Erin Banco, Spencer Ackerman, and Asawin Suebsaeng. "But three senior Pentagon officials who spoke with The Daily Beast said they viewed the secretary’s comments on the call as a way to publicly show support for the president. They did not expect the department to actually implement a plan that would reflect the president’s rhetoric and force additional troops upon the states."

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image