Quantcast
Connect with us

South Carolina ex-cop faces December sentencing for motorist’s shooting

Published

on

A white former South Carolina police officer filmed as he fatally shot an unarmed black motorist in the back two years ago will be sentenced on Dec. 4 on a federal civil rights charge, court officials said on Friday.

Ex-North Charleston officer Michael Slager pleaded guilty in May to violating motorist Walter Scott’s civil rights by using excessive force in the April 2015 shooting.

ADVERTISEMENT

A widely distributed cellphone video of the shooting taken by a bystander heightened a national debate about police treatment of minorities across the United States.

    The Dec. 4 sentencing hearing will be held in U.S. District Court in Charleston. Judge David Norton, who heard Slager’s guilty plea in May, has blocked out a week for the proceedings, his office said.

Slager, 35, faces a sentence ranging from zero years, or time served, to a maximum of life in prison on the civil rights charge. He has been in federal custody since his guilty plea just weeks before his federal trial was to start.

Slager fired eight shots at Scott’s back, hitting him five times. He opened fire after the motorist fled a traffic stop for a broken brake light and he and Slager fought.

ADVERTISEMENT

Slager’s attorney Andrew Savage told Charleston’s Post and Courier newspaper on Friday that he would emphasize the fight and that the video did not show the whole story of what happened.

“He (Slager) certainly was not looking for trouble that day, with the idea to hurt somebody,” Savage was quoted as saying.

Justin Bamberg, a lawyer for the Scott family, said he favored a long prison sentence, perhaps life, as a deterrent to others in positions of public trust.

ADVERTISEMENT

“You cannot do these kinds of things and if you do, the punishment will be severe,” Bamberg, who helped secure a $6.5 million civil settlement for Scott’s family, said by phone. Slager also was in jail for about nine months while facing state murder charges. He was released on bail in January 2016.

State prosecutors dropped a murder charge against Slager after he pleaded guilty to the federal charge. His murder trial ended with a hung jury last year.

(Reporting by Harriet McLeod; Editing by Ian Simpson in Washington and Jonathan Oatis)

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Facebook

Robert De Niro said Alec Baldwin is so good at playing Donald Trump he wants to punch them both in the face

Published

on

Legendary actor and Donald Trump foe Robert De Niro waited patiently as roasters bashed him before they went after Alec Baldwin. De Niro was mocked mostly for his age. But it was De Niro who had the last laugh.

When it was his turn to bring the funny, De Niro asked simply, "what the f*ck am I doing here?"

"This is like that Moscow hotel room where a bunch of whores pissed all over Donald Trump," he recalled.

When it came time to bash Caitlyn Jenner, De Niro said that there was something off about her, but he couldn't "put his finger in it."

"Yes, you can!" she encouraged.

Continue Reading

Facebook

SNL’s Chris Redd calls Caitlyn Jenner ‘Auntie Tom’ for supporting Trump over trans community

Published

on

Genius comedian Chris Redd went after Caitlyn Jenner for her Republican support of President Donald Trump.

While Jenner admitted in 2018 that she'd made a mistake, she was a big part of those few LGBTQ willing to support Trump in 2016.

"Hey Caitlyn, you godd*mn hypocrite," Redd began. "You're like, against gay marriage, you voted for Trump, you're like the Auntie Tom of the trans community. I mean, OK, you did open the door for trans people but then you ran in and slammed that sh*t shut behind your flat ass."

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

US ‘lies’ slammed after Mike Pompeo blames Iran for drone attacks without proof

Published

on

Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Abbas Mousavi forcefully rejected Sunday unsubstantiated charges by by US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and US Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) regarding the recent drone attacks that caused serious damage to two crucial Saudi Arabian oil installations.

“It has been around 5 years that the Saudi-led coalition has kept the flames of war alive in the region by repeatedly launching aggression against Yemen and committing different types of war crimes, and the Yemenis have also shown that they are standing up to war and aggression,” Seyyed Abbas Mousavi said in a statement.

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image