Democrat John Conyers, the longest serving member of the U.S. House of Representatives, announced his retirement on Tuesday, amid accusations of sexual harassment, and endorsed his son to take his place in Congress.
“I am in the process of putting my retirement plans together and will have more on that very soon … I am retiring today,” Conyers said in an interview with a Detroit radio station.
“I have a great family here and especially in my oldest boy, John Conyers III, who incidentally I endorse to replace me in my seat in Congress,” Conyers said.
The House Ethics Committee last week opened an investigation into Conyers, 88, after he said his office had resolved a harassment case of a former staffer with a payment but no admission of guilt.
Conyers, who was first elected to the House in 1964, is the first major U.S. politician to step down since the recent wave of sexual harassment allegations. He has denied the accusations and continued to do so in the interview on Tuesday.
“Whatever they are, they are not accurate or they are not true, and I think that they are something that I can’t explain where they came from,” he said.
Conyers called for all records in such cases to be made public.
Congress has been reviewing policies on how to handle sexual harassment complaints after a string of cases involving prominent figures in the U.S. media, Hollywood and politics, including Republican President Donald Trump, Democratic Senator Al Franken and Republican Senate candidate Roy Moore.
Trump and Moore have denied the accusations against them. Franken has apologized for his actions.
House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi and other top U.S. Democratic House lawmakers, along with Republican U.S. House Speaker Paul Ryan, had called on Conyers to resign immediately.
Conyers, a founding member of the Congressional Black Caucus, stepped down last month as the senior Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee amid the allegations.
Several former employees have publicly accused him of a range of misdeeds, including inappropriate touching, sexual invitations and showing up for a meeting with one woman in his underwear.
Twelve other women who said they had worked for Conyers defended him in a statement last month, saying they did not see him behave inappropriately.
(Reporting by Susan Heavey and Makini Brice; Writing by Eric Beech; Editing by Andrew Heavens and Steve Orlofsky)
MSNBC’s Morning Joe mocks Sean Spicer for passing Trump’s ‘loyalty test’ — and flushing his reputation
MSNBC's Joe Scarborough mocked Sean Spicer and others who allowed President Donald Trump to destroy their reputations.
The former White House press secretary pranced around in neon green ruffles on ABC's "Dancing With The Stars" as part of a bid to rehabilitate his image after serving Trump, and the "Morning Joe" host ripped Spicer and other former officials who gave their loyalty in exchange for nothing.
"It's really unbelievable," Scarborough said. "This is what autocrats do. He's not an autocrat, of course, he's a would-be autocrat, if he lived in a country that was allowed to be one."
George Conway ridicules Trump selling US military to Saudis to fight their war with ‘sharpied’ Constitution
George Conway, the husband to one of Donald Trump's most trusted advisers, took a jab at his wife's boss on Twitter by providing the president with a "sharpied" copy on the U.S. Constitution giving the Saudi's access to the U.S. military to fight their wars.
Reacting to Trump's comments that the Saudi's "pay cash" --when asked about a possible U.S. military intervention after an attack on a Saudi oil facility -- conservative attorney Conway tweeted out the altered document, adding, "The Saudi Royal family shall have the power..." before the war powers portion of the document.
You can see the tweet below:
Warning against ‘another endless war,’ Ilhan Omar says congress must act to stop Trump from attacking Iran
"Congress has the constitutional right to declare war. The president doesn't have it. The secretary of state doesn't have it. And Saudi Arabia certainly doesn't have it."
With President Donald Trump firing off menacing tweets and the White House working to blame Iran—on the basis of flimsy evidence—for attacks on Saudi oil facilities over the weekend, Rep. Ilhan Omar said Monday night that Congress must act urgently to prevent Trump from launching another catastrophic military conflict in the Middle East.