Arizona’s House of Representatives ousted a lawmaker on Thursday after investigators found “credible evidence” that he had created a hostile work environment while serving in the state legislature.
Republican Don Shooter, former chairman of the appropriations committee, was expelled by a vote of 56 to 3 in an emotional floor session.
“We just expelled somebody from this family,” said House Speaker J.D. Mesnard, after casting the final vote to oust Shooter. “But at some point we as elected officials are held to the highest of standards.”
Shooter said in a brief statement on the House floor that he had said and done some “stupid things” in the past, but had faithfully served.
“I stood on the carpet and took it like a man,” he told colleagues. “I apologized. Can’t go back to the past, I can’t change it. But I can change the future if given the opportunity.”
He left the floor after voting “No” on the expulsion resolution and could not be reached later by Reuters for comment.
His removal followed an investigation into claims of sexual harassment made by several women in November 2017.
Shooter, who lost his position as appropriations chairman at that time, was stripped of committee assignments on Tuesday after a law firm hired by the legislature said it found “credible” evidence that he created a hostile work environment.
“His repeated pervasive conduct has created a hostile work environment for his colleagues and those with business before the legislature,” the investigators said.
Reuters has not confirmed any of the allegations.
Mesnard, who until Thursday had sought to censure Shooter, said he had called on Shooter to resign but he refused.
Dozens of high-profile men have been fired or have resigned from their jobs in politics, media, entertainment and business after facing allegations of sexual misconduct.
Some 27 state legislatures in 2016 had formal policies for legislative employees on sexual harassment, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.
In California, former State Assembly member Raul Bocanegra resigned late last year under pressure from colleagues, as did two members of the Minnesota legislature.
(Reporting by David Schwartz; Editing by Sharon Bernstein)
REVEALED: Far-right extremists are circulating plans to lock down Arizona streets if Trump is re-elected
On Saturday, The Arizona Republic reported that far-right paramilitary groups are circulating plans to lock down neighborhoods in the Phoenix, Arizona metropolitan area in the event that President Donald Trump is re-elected, supposedly to police left-wing protesters.
"In Arizona, the head of the Prescott-area chapter of the Oath Keepers group, which recruits military and law enforcement officers, has warned residents to be prepared to protect their neighborhoods from feared extreme left-wing protesters who would be upset should President Donald Trump be re-elected," reported Richard Ruelas. "Part of that the pro-Trump group'splan involved closing streets and assigning monitors to control access, according to a planning document shared with The Republic."
Conservatives are hopping mad that their clumsy Hunter Biden smear is a flop
Welcome to another edition of What Fresh Hell?, Raw Story’s roundup of news items that might have become controversies under another regime, but got buried – or were at least under-appreciated – due to the daily firehose of political pratfalls, unhinged tweet storms and other sundry embarrassments coming out of the current White House.
In 2016, Steve Bannon did an amazing job rolling out the Clinton Foundation nontroversy. He gave The New York Times and CNN early access to Peter Schweizer's book, Clinton Cash, and the outlets gave it mainstream credibility. Later, when the Uranium One story was thoroughly debunked, it didn't matter. The foundation remained under a pall of fuzzy suspicions.
GOP insiders give Pence little chance of ever being president after four years spent defending Trump: report
On Saturday, writing for The Washington Post, Ben Terris reported that many Republican consultants and insiders believe that Vice President Mike Pence's presidential ambitions are doomed, for several reasons.
"If you list the top 10 most likely people to have a strong shot at the nomination, maybe Mike Pence makes number nine or 10," said former Marco Rubio presidential campaign manager Terry Sullivan in the piece. "Maybe." Former Jeb Bush campaign spokesman Tim Miller agreed, saying, "I could maybe see him becoming the nominee, but president? I just don’t see it."