Quantcast
Connect with us

Southwest sued by Arabic speaker who was removed from plane after panicking passenger complained

Published

on

Southwest Airlines Co was sued on Tuesday by an American citizen who came to the United States as an Iraqi refugee, and said he was removed from a California flight after another passenger became unnerved upon hearing him speak in Arabic. Khairuldeen Makhzoomi said he is seeking compensatory and punitive damages for civil rights violations, discrimination and emotional distress stemming from the “Islamophobia” underlying the April 6, 2016 incident, which began as he awaited takeoff to Oakland from Los Angeles.

ADVERTISEMENT

Southwest had no immediate comment. The complaint was filed with the U.S. District Court in San Francisco.

Makhzoomi said he had been seated and talking with his uncle by phone, after attending a dinner featuring United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, when two police officers and Southwest employee Shoaib Ahmed removed him from the plane.

The plaintiff, then a 26-year-old public policy student at the University of California at Berkeley, said he was “singled out” by the Dallas-based carrier for speaking in Arabic, though he was doing nothing wrong and was not a security threat.

He also said Ahmed, who is also a defendant, admonished him by saying, “Why are you talking in Arabic? You know the environment is very dangerous.”

Makhzoomi said he was released by local law enforcement and the Federal Bureau of Investigation after hours of questioning and being “invasively searched,” but that Southwest refused to rebook him, and instead refunded his ticket. He later flew home on Delta Air Lines.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Southwest was and is well aware of the prevalent stereotypes and sentiments associated with Islamophobia,” the complaint said, “and knew or should have known that they cannot simply remove Arabic speaking passengers without having a valid reason or concern.”

Zahra Billoo, executive director of the San Francisco Bay Area office of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said Makhzoomi tried to resolve the dispute out of court, but Southwest’s response proved “unsatisfactory.”

“We want to make sure that what happened to Mr. Makhzoomi does not happen to others,” Billoo, a lawyer for the plaintiff, said in an interview.

ADVERTISEMENT

Makhzoomi is now pursuing graduate studies at Georgetown University’s Walsh School of Foreign Service, Billoo added.

Southwest said soon after the incident that its employees followed proper procedure, and that the “content” of Makhzoomi’s talk with his uncle, not the language, had prompted action.

ADVERTISEMENT

The case is Makhzoomi v Southwest Airlines Co et al, U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, No. 18-00924.

(Reporting by Jonathan Stempel in New York; Editing by Cynthia Osterman and Tom Brown)


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Facebook

White House ‘shamed into submission’: Senate finally passes Armenian genocide bill despite Trump’s objections

Published

on

In a direct refutation of the repeated objections of the Trump administration this Thursday, the Senate unanimously passed a resolution recognizing the Armenian Genocide.

As USA Today points out, the historic move will likely complicate US-Turkey relations since it acknowledges that Turkey, then known as the Ottoman Empire, carried out the systematic killings of 1.5 million Armenians from 1915 to 1923.

Continue Reading

CNN

‘It’s all distractions’: CNN panel obliterates GOP for totally refusing to discuss Trump’s conduct

Published

on

A CNN panel on Thursday obliterated House Republicans for once again completely ignoring the substance of allegations against President Donald Trump and instead throwing out numerous distractions intended to deflect attention from the president's actions.

"It's been distractions about the Bidens, it's been distractions about conspiracy theories about Ukraine's involvement in the election," said CNN legal analyst Carrie Cordero. "Yesterday, it was distractions about FISA and FISA so-called abuse. It was distractions from Congressman Gohmert reading calls from 1943! It's been all distractions and they won't wrestle with the actual conduct."

Continue Reading
 

Facebook

Fox News’ Chris Wallace calls Trump out for promulgating ‘the most direct sustained assault on freedom of the press in our history’

Published

on

Even though Fox News hosts like Sean Hannity, Laura Ingraham, Tucker Carlson and Jeanine Pirro aggressively support President Donald Trump more often than not, he often takes to Twitter to complain when the right-wing cable news channel gives him a hard time. His main targets at Fox News include Judge Andrew Napolitano and Chris Wallace, both of whom have been highly critical of Trump at times. And when Wallace spoke at the Newseum in Washington, D.C. on Wednesday night, he didn’t hesitate to call out Trump’s bitterly anti-media rhetoric.

Continue Reading