Two students were shot at a middle school classroom near downtown Los Angeles on Thursday morning, and a young girl was taken into custody, police said.
A 15-year-old boy who was shot in the head at Sal Castro Middle School was listed in critical but stable condition at a local hospital, and a 15-year old girl who was hit in the wrist was in stable condition, Los Angeles Police Department spokeswoman Wendy Reyes said.
Three other people had slight injuries from shrapnel from the gunfire, she said.
Preliminary indications are that the person of interest taken into custody is 12 years old, Steven Zipperman, Los Angeles school police chief, said at a news conference.
Reyes could not immediately say if the girl was a student at the school.
A gun was recovered from the scene, Los Angeles Police Lieutenant Chris Ramirez told reporters.
Police said they responded at 8:55 a.m. PST (1655 GMT) to a call that shots were being fired at the shared campus of Sal Castro Middle School and Belmont High School west of downtown.
The two campuses remained on lockdown nearly two hours after the shooting as parents stood outside hoping to be reunited with their children. But there was no longer a threat to safety, Zipperman said.
“We know this is a very traumatic incident for all the children involved, particularly inside that classroom,” Zipperman said. “We will attend to the needs of these students who witnessed this, very carefully with the understanding this is very traumatic.”
The shooting was the latest outbreak of gun violence at a U.S. school.
On Jan. 20, a 15-year-old boy opened fire at a high school in Benton, Kentucky, killing two students and wounding several others, authorities said.
(Reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis in Los Angeles, Bernie Woodall in Fort Lauderdale and Suzannah Gonzales in Chicago; Editing by Andrew Hay and Lisa Von Ahn)
Carl Bernstein: There are 7-9 ‘wobbly’ Republicans who want witnesses but Mitch McConnell is trying to block them
In a CNN panel discussion Wednesday, notorious Watergate reporter Carl Bernstein revealed that there are seven to nine Republican senators who are wavering after the compelling argument that the House has provided for the impeachment. The problem, however, is that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) is refusing to allow any break from the party line.
"I think this is a hugely damaging narrative that was laid out today, and that Mitch McConnell understands, and has understood for a while that this hugely damaging narrative was going to affect his members," said Bernstein. "And that his strategy -- I've talked to some Republicans about this -- #MidnightMitch is to wear out his own members so that they don't vote for more witnesses because there are six, seven, eight, nine wobbly Republicans."
Republican Kevin McCarthy gets taken down by former top GOP colleague
Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) was attacked by a former Republican colleague who alleged McCarthy and his fellow members of Congress have allowed the House GOP to become the official shill for the White House.
In a profile for the New York Times, former Oversight Committee Chairman Tom Davis (R-VA) shamed the GOP House for the way that a once-respectable institution has fallen.
“Congress no longer operates as an independent branch of government, but as an appendage of the executive branch,” said Davis. “He is made for that role.”
Former senator reveals to Maddow how one brave Democrat can reveal key document in impeachment trial
Near the end of Wednesday's impeachment trial, Chief Justice John Roberts announced that an agreement had been made to allow senators to read supplemental testimony from Vice President Mike Pence aide Jennifer Williams.
The document will remain classified, despite claims that there is no classified material in the document, only evidence that is damning to the president.
"In terms of this document potentially being improperly classified, which is something that has been raised in writing by Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA) and raised on the floor of the Senate tonight by Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D-CA)," MSNBC anchor Rachel Maddow noted. "Obviously, it was the vice president's office that said it was classified, they are getting publicly criticized for that. If it has been improperly classified and it should be something that the public can see, who adjudicates that?"