NBC 4 Washington reporter Scott MacFarlane on Tuesday posted a new video in which he discussed the upcoming cases involving pro-Trump Capitol rioters that he believes are "can't miss."
MacFarlane started out by noting how difficult it can be to keep track of all the MAGA rioter cases, as hundreds of people so far have been arrested for breaching the Capitol and temporarily halting the certification of the 2020 presidential election.
"There's a small subset of cases that I've circled on my calendar... because they are not to be missed," he continued.
MacFarlane then explained that he's particularly looking at the MAGA rioters who have decided to represent themselves in court because those hearings can be "the least predictable" of all.
He brought up the specific example of Minnesota MAGA rioter Brian Mock, who pleaded not guilty to assaulting Capitol Police officers and who allegedly threatened a fellow Trump supporter who went with him to the Capitol because he feared she might rat him out to the FBI.
"He's representing himself and filed a 43-page handwritten motion recently to get his indictment dismissed," MacFarlane said. "Among the things he argues is that the police were unprepared and that they used excessive force that day."
However, MacFarlane argues that such arguments would be best used during his trial -- and that they were not going to convince any court to flat-out throw away his indictment.
Check out some more cases MacFarlane is watching in the video below.
The last time former president Donald Trump visited the Amway Center in Orlando, it was for a free MAGA rally kicking off his re-election campaign in 2019. On Sunday, Trump will return to the Amway Center, but this time supporters will have to "pay big" to see him, the Orlando Sentinel reports.
The newspaper notes that tickets for the event – the second stop on Trump's "History Tour" with disgraced former Fox News Host Bill O'Reilly — "start at $100 for upper deck seats and run into the thousands of dollars for VIP packages," which reportedly include “floor seats, a 45-minute reception before the show, and photos with Trump and O’Reilly.”
Aubrey Jewett, a professor of political science at the University of Central Florida, told the Sentinel: “It’s interesting because one assumes that if Trump really does decide to run for office again, he will mostly hold free events as campaign rallies to try to get thousands and thousands of people to show up. But now he’s trying to cash in, I guess. … And given the cost, it’s the intersection of two groups: people who are big Trump fans, and people who have some money.”
Jewett called the ticket prices eyebrow-raising for an event where Trump will presumably bash “elites."
“I’m sure you’ll probably see some blue-collar people, because even people who are, quote, unquote, ‘blue collar’ make a great living if you’re in a trade like construction, electrical, plumbing,” he said. “But for many blue-collar Trump fans, it’s probably outside their budget, and they’ll probably wait for a free event, assuming that Trump runs again.”
When Politico reported in July that ticket sales for the "History Tour" weren't going well, O'Reilly threatened to sue the site's reporter. The Sentinel reported Tuesday that while most seats on the floor and in the lower bowl were listed as sold or unavailable for Sunday's event, there were plenty of available seats in the rear lower bowl and upper decks.
“If it’s mobbed, I think that just reiterates that Trump’s popularity within the Republican Party and the conservative movement is still really strong. And it probably also would be an indication that it’s more likely that he’ll run again for president," Jewett told the newspaper. “But on the flip side, if not many people show, then I think Democratic and liberal critics will say that it shows that the Trump phenomenon has maybe hit its peak. And that there is a limit to what he can get away with.”
Mark Meadows 'played around' with Capitol riot probe -- and will 'end up underneath the bus': former federal prosecutor
The House Select Committee investigating the January 6 Capitol insurrection has been facing furious opposition from Trump allies, who have largely defied their subpoenas and have tried to cite executive privilege on dubious legal grounds.
But that may not matter, suggested former federal prosecutor Joyce Vance on Twitter Tuesday.
In her view, the committee already has enough cooperation to get the information they need — which will just make the legal position of those who are refusing to cooperate worse in the end.
The January 6th Committee doesn't need cooperation from every witness - just from enough of them. And they seem to be getting it. People like Meadows who play around will end up underneath the bus.— Joyce Alene (@Joyce Alene) 1638914613
This comes after former Mike Pence chief of staff Marc Short agreed to cooperate with the committee, which experts believe will illuminate what Trump was doing on the morning of the insurrection and his closest allies' roles in the incident. It also comes as Mark Meadows, Trump's own former chief of staff, has walked back his efforts to cooperate with the committee and faces threats of a contempt of Congress vote.