Quantcast
Connect with us

Family disputes police account in shooting of unarmed California black man

Published

on

The family of an unarmed black man shot to death by police officers in the backyard of his grandparent’s house in Sacramento, California, disputes the police account that he had earlier been breaking windows, the family’s attorney said on Friday.

Two officers, responding to a report of someone breaking car windows, fatally shot Stephon Clark, 22, on Sunday night. The encounter was captured on video.

ADVERTISEMENT

Police on Wednesday released body camera and helicopter video of the shooting in the California state capital, and that sparked street protests the next day.

 “This family completely rejects anything that the Sacramento Police Department tried to claim to justify this execution of their loved one,” said Benjamin Crump, the family’s attorney.
Crump previously represented the family of Michael Brown, a black man whose 2014 shooting death by police in Ferguson, Missouri, near St. Louis, sparked nationwide protests.

Since Brown’s death, a series of killings of unarmed black men by police across the United Stated has fueled a nationwide debate about racial bias and the use of lethal force.

Sacramento police said Clark was holding an object officers feared was a firearm and they shot him 20 times, Sacramento police said in a statement. It was later discovered he only had a cell phone, police said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Before the shooting, Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department deputies in a helicopter saw Clark break the sliding glass door at a neighboring house. then hop a fence into the backyard where the two officers confronted him, police said.

Investigators also found three damaged cars in the neighborhood, police said.

Protests against the shooting resumed in Sacramento on Friday, with a few dozen protesters marching to the state Capitol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Activists expect hundreds of people on Friday night to attend a candlelight vigil for Clark several blocks from where he died.

On Thursday, protesters in Sacramento blocked Interstate 5 and later converged outside a downtown arena, preventing many fans from entering for a National Basketball Association game. The tip-off between the Sacramento Kings and Atlanta Hawks was delayed.

The Sacramento County District Attorney’s Office is investigating the shooting. The two officers who fired their weapons were placed on administrative leave.

ADVERTISEMENT

Sacramento police and the president of the Sacramento Police Officers Association could not be reached on Friday.

“Any loss of life is tragic and affects all members of our community, including our Sacramento police officers,” Timothy Davis, president of the Sacramento Police Officers Association, said in a statement on Thursday.

Additional reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis in Los Angeles; Editing by David Gregorio

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Marine Corps unit busted planning to hold a party at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort: report

Published

on

President Donald Trump is facing yet another corruption scandal after a Marine Corps unit was caught planning to hold a party at the commander-in-chief's Mar-a-Lago resort.

"At a time when taxpayer and foreign-government spending at Trump Organization properties is fueling political battles, a U.S. Marine Corps reserve unit stationed in South Florida hopes to hold an annual ball at a venue that could profit the commander-in-chief," the Miami Herald reported Thursday.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Internet blown away by Giuliani’s ‘pants-sh*tting panic’ freak out on CNN’s Cuomo

Published

on

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani received harsh reviews of his Thursday evening appearance on CNN with anchor Chris Cuomo.

Many people worried about Giuliani's mental health after watching the interview.

Here is some of what people were saying about Trump's defense attorney.

https://twitter.com/RadioFreeTom/status/1174860581897199617

https://twitter.com/ananavarro/status/1174859510600613888?s=21

https://twitter.com/elise_jordan/status/1174857898800898048?s=21

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Maddow is visibly shocked Trump is claiming in court the president can’t even be investigated

Published

on

The host of "The Rachel Maddow Show" on MSNBC was flabbergasted by the latest court moves by President Donald Trump as he continues to hide his tax returns from investigators.

The host noted the ongoing legal battle Trump is waging to keep his accounting firm, Mazars, from handing over eight years of his tax returns to New York state investigators.

The host was shocked by the headline on the front-page of The Washington Post website.

[caption id="attachment_1544917" align="aligncenter" width="640"] Headline in The New York Times: "Trump Lawyers Argue He Cannot Be Criminally Investigated" screengrab.[/caption]

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image