Nearly a week after President Donald Trump signed a memorandum banning some transgender people from serving in the U.S. military, Pentagon officials on Thursday refused to answer questions about the policy except to say they would continue to follow court orders currently blocking the ban.
Last Friday, the White House announced Trump had signed the memorandum, but also had given the secretaries of Defense and Homeland Security authority to implement policies as they see fit.
Since then, the Pentagon has mostly declined to answer even basic questions, like who was on a panel that provided Defense Secretary Jim Mattis with recommendations.
“I know you have a lot of questions about this topic, so I want to be up front about what I can address today. We will continue to comply with four court orders assessing transgender applicants for military service and retaining current transgender service members,” Pentagon spokeswoman Dana White told reporters on Thursday.
“Because there is ongoing litigation and to safeguard the integrity of the court process, I am unable to provide any further details at this time,” White added.
A number of federal judges have issued rulings blocking Trump’s ban, saying it would probably violate the U.S. Constitutional right to equal protection under the law.
Trump’s memorandum followed his pledge in July to ban transgender people from the military in a move that would reverse former President Barack Obama’s policy.
In a memo from Mattis to the White House, also released late last Friday, the Pentagon said transgender individuals with a history of gender dysphoria are disqualified from military service “except under certain limited circumstances.”
Mattis added that transgender individuals who require or have undergone gender transition were also disqualified.
Lawmakers, former officials and LGBT advocates have criticized the policy.
“The government is in litigation about a lot of issues all the time, but that is not an excuse for declining to talk about them,” said Aaron Belkin, executive director of the Palm Center, an LGBT-rights think tank in California.
“It is quite striking to take aim at your own troops and then refuse to talk about that,” Belkin added.
According to the Pentagon, 8,980 service members reportedly identify as transgender, but only 937 active duty service members were diagnosed with gender dysphoria.
In an impromptu press briefing this week, Mattis declined to answer questions on the topic.
“I’m not going to discuss transgender. I’ve already said that two times now. I’m not going to discuss it,” Mattis said.
Reporting by Idrees Ali; Editing by David Gregorio
GOP’s cancellation of presidential primaries could blow up in Trump’s face — here’s why
In recent weeks, Republican state party committees have been moving to cancel presidential primaries to prevent Never-Trump conservatives, like former Reps. Joe Walsh (R-IL) and Mark Sanford (R-SC) and former Gov. Bill Weld (R-MA), from challenging the president from the right. So far, Republicans in Arizona, Kansas, Nevada, and South Carolina have all announced they will scrap the voting process for 2020.
Mike Pence should be investigated for his part in Ukraine negotiations and ‘we need some answers’: Ex-prosecutor
On MSNBC's "AM Joy" Saturday, former federal prosecutor Joyce Vance agreed with host Joy Reid that Vice President Mike Pence could be involved in the Ukraine whistleblower cover-up — and that Congress needs to act to learn the truth for the American people.
"Let me go to you on this very quickly, Joyce, because here's the question for Mike Pence," said Reid. "Mike Pence has been sort of severed from all of the other questions that are relating to potential impeachment for Donald Trump, that the House is wrestling with right now, but if Pence ... went in knowing why the aid was being held up, went in and spoke to the leader of Ukraine knowing what stick the administration had over them, and in that way was drawn in to this idea of using that stick to try to get what they wanted from Ukraine, does he then face the jeopardy of perhaps also being drawn into the questions of impeachment?"
‘We’re not through’: After biggest climate protest in history draws 4 million worldwide, campaigners prepare for week of action
"September 20th was a demonstration of intent, of 4 million people who took time off from work or school to say that they are ready to move on and make the changes we need."
As organizers behind Friday's Global Climate Strike reported that four million children and adults attended marches and rallies all over the world—making it the biggest climate protest ever—they assured leaders who have been reticent to take bold climate action that the campaigners' work is far from over.