The U.S. city of Albuquerque passed measures on Monday that make it harder for federal officials to deport illegal immigrants, a week after a federal judge blocked a Trump administration effort to withhold funding from cities that took such steps.
Albuquerque’s majority-Democratic council voted 6-3 in favor of a measure to prevent federal immigration officials from entering city-operated areas, including a prisoner transport center, without a warrant.
In a televised meeting, the council also barred city workers, including police, from collecting information on peoples’ immigration status and prohibited local tax dollars from being spent on federal immigration law enforcement.
The measures were meant to bolster the “immigrant friendly” status of Albuquerque, the largest city in New Mexico where 47 percent of the population is Hispanic or Latino, the highest level for any U.S. state.
U.S. President Donald Trump, a Republican, has tried to crack down on mainly Democratic-run cities and states that he claims are “sanctuaries” for illegal immigrants.
New Mexico is among the ten U.S. states with the highest percentages of illegal immigrants in their populations, according to Pew Research.
A federal judge in Los Angeles last week issued a nationwide injunction to prevent the U.S. Department of Justice requiring police departments to help immigration officials in order to receive federal grants.
The ruling marked an important win for local governments that have opposed Trump administration immigration policies and tried to keep out of federal immigration enforcement efforts.
Reporting By Andrew Hay; editing by Darren Schuettler
Trump blows up at Fox News reporter for asking him about disbanding pandemic team
On Wednesday, President Donald Trump lost his temper at a coronavirus press briefing when Fox News correspondent John Roberts asked him about his administration disbanding the pandemic response team.
"We didn't do that. That turned out to be a false story," said Trump. (It is not a false story.) "Now you're starting to go — are you working for CNN?"
"I'm pointing out what they have said and what you have said, that's all," said Roberts.
"Fox isn't so easy either, don't kid yourself," whined Trump. "Look, John, let me tell you something. You know that's a false story. What you just said is a false story, this doctor knows it better than anybody ... you shouldn't be repeating a story that you know is false."
More than 1 in 5 ventilators in federal government stockpile is holding for emergencies don’t work
As the coronavirus is raging through the United States, President Donald Trump has begun releasing personal protective equipment from federal stockpiles as well as much-needed ventilators. Unfortunately, however, one in five ventilators from the government don't work.
The New York Times reported Wednesday that there are 10,000 ventilators that the government is holding back for the next wave of the emergency.
"But what federal officials have neglected to mention is that more than 2,000 of the lifesaving devices are unavailable after the contract to maintain the government’s stockpile lapsed late last summer, and a contracting dispute meant that a new firm did not begin its work until late January. By then, the coronavirus crisis was already underway."
Pro-Trump reporter banned from White House briefing room for ignoring social distancing guidelines
On Wednesday, the White House Correspondents Association announced that it would be banning One America News Network reporter Chanel Rion from the press briefing room, after she repeatedly refused to follow social distancing guidelines imposed as a safety precaution against coronavirus.
The WHCA taking action after OANN staffer Chanel Rion repeatedly broke the agreed-upon rules --> https://t.co/8uTRLaVSbd
— Geoff Bennett (@GeoffRBennett) April 1, 2020