Thousands gathered at a vigil Sunday night paying tribute to 10 people mowed down by a van in downtown Toronto earlier this week.
Ten candles, sheltered from the wind by tealight holders, were placed on a stage in memory of the eight women and two men struck by a rental van driven by Alek Minassian on Monday.
The victims, who ranged in age from 22 to 94, were killed when the suspect drove along a sidewalk in the north end of Canada’s largest city. Sixteen others were injured.
“Love for all, hatred for none,” was the message seen on large posters and blue T-shirts in the crowd, which included Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
Governor General of Canada, Julie Payette — representing Queen Elizabeth II — Toronto’s Mayor John Tory and provincial heads of government also stood in the crowd, anonymous.
“Our sorrows are reflected in the eyes of the stranger beside to us. We stand together,” said Reverend Alexa Gilmore of the Windermere United Church, opening the somber event, which saw representatives from each of Toronto’s diverse range of religious communities offer tribute.
– White roses-
“Toronto has felt the pain of other cities,” affected by vehicle ramming attacks, such as London, Paris and Berlin, said Rabbi Barud Frydman.
The victims’ names — Mary Elizabeth Forsyth, Geraldine Brady, Dorothy Sewel, Beutis Renuka Amarasingha, Chung So-he, Anne-Marie D’Amico, Andrea Bradden, Kim Ji-hun, Kang Chul-min and Munir Abdo Habib Najjar — were recited, with white roses placed by each candle in their memory.
In the wake of the killings, police concluded that 25-year-old Minassian had targeted “predominantly women,” having posted a “cryptic” message on Facebook minutes before the attack.
In the post, Minassian praised mass killer Elliot Rodger — a 22-year-old American who murdered six people and then killed himself in California in 2014, and who had professed frustration over his virginity and women rejecting him.
The suspect’s post also referred to the “Incel Rebellion” — “incel” is short for “involuntarily celibate” and is often used in connection with online groups of sexually frustrated men who are known to rant against women.
Minassian was arrested seven minutes after the first call to an emergency hotline. He now faces 10 counts of premeditated murder, as well as the multiple attempted murder charges related to the injured survivors.
White House tells Corey Lewandowski to keep his mouth shut when appearing before Congress
Corey Lewandowski is slated to testify before the House Judiciary Committee, but President Donald Trump's White House is telling the possible Senate hopeful to keep his mouth shut.
Washington Post reporter Josh Dawsey tweeted about the instruction Monday, less than 24 hours before Lewandowski is scheduled to be sworn in.
"White House has instructed Corey Lewandowski not to testify about his conversations with POTUS or other White House officials that are not already delineated in Mueller report, per aide familiar with strategy. He testifies tomorrow," Dawsey tweeted.
Ilhan Omar: If Trump lies about ‘weather maps and crowd sizes,’ he cannot be trusted with war powers
On Monday, Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) discussed the attack on Saudi oil facilities with CNN's Erin Burnett — and weighed in on the possibility of President Donald Trump using military force.
"Should a military strike be on the table right now as an option by the U.S. specifically, Congresswoman, or do you think no?" asked Burnett.
"Congress has the constitutional right to declare war," said Omar. "The president doesn't have it, secretary of state doesn't have it, and Saudi Arabia certainly doesn't have it. I think we need to make sure that the American people understand that this administration that lies about weather maps or crowd sizes cannot be trusted to give us the full information we need to be able to make a decision whether we should be going to war or not with Iran. We are not in a position to think about another endless war, and I really hope that my colleagues in Congress are going to pressure this administration to take a step back and figure out how we use diplomacy in the escalating situation."
‘He better do this or he’ll look stupid’: MSNBC host tells Trump to do something on gun safety
If President Donald Trump doesn't act on gun safety laws he's going to look like an idiot, according to one MSNBC host.
During an introduction about an upcoming segment, Chris Matthews handed it to the president over his inaction with gun safety. Despite multiple mass shootings with high-powered weapons and overwhelming support for stronger background checks and an assault weapons ban, Trump has refused to act.
"Democrats back President Trump corner on gun legislation making him an offer on background checks, I don't see how he refuses," said Matthews. "His response remains muddled so as not to anger his pals at the NRA. He is scared right now. Trump doesn't know what to do. This is one time on guns I think he knows that Nancy and Chuck have put something on the table, a firm offer to do background checks and background checks alone. He better do this or he'll look stupid."