After 10 people were killed by a student firing a shotgun and a .38 revolver at Santa Fe High School last week, Gov. Greg Abbott‘s re-election campaign has dropped a shotgun giveaway from his website.
The contest, which a campaign official said was changed over the weekend, now features a $250 gift certificate redeemable anywhere as the prize. The original contest page on Abbott’s site displayed an image of the governor with a shotgun and a banner that read, “Win a Texas-Made Shotgun.” Anyone who entered an email address and other basic information could sign up.
The contest page is now titled “Contest” and contains a blurb at the bottom that reads, “Winner will receive a certificate of not more than $250.” Neither the original shotgun giveaway language nor the Abbott picture appears on the page, which says the entry period for the contest will run from May 1 through May 31.
Abbott, a Republican who’s running for a second term as governor, announced after Friday’s shooting that he’s will begin convening roundtable discussions this week with stakeholders to discuss gun safety at Texas schools. Abbott also mentioned then he had several new proposals for the state’s gun laws in the works.
Here are the two Trump claims that the Pentagon chief refused to vouch for
The White House meeting Wednesday afternoon didn't go well for either party, according to their counterparts. Both sides are dishing on details, including a Democratic aide who said that there were two of President Donald Trump's claims that his own Pentagon chief wouldn't vouch for.
At the onset of the meeting, Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) began by reading a quote from Gen. James Mattis, who briefly served in Trump's administration.
"But POTUS cut Schumer off," reported PBS News correspondent Lisa Desjardins. Trump then "said that Gen Mattis was: 'the world’s most overrated general. You know why? He wasn’t tough enough. I captured ISIS. Mattis said it would take 2 yrs. I captured them in 1 month."
Former Clinton lawyer scolds Trump’s White House counsel on impeachment: ‘we never considered’ behaving this way
On Tuesday, Lanny Breuer, a special counsel who worked for President Bill Clinton's White House, wrote an open letter in the Washington Post to President Donald Trump's White House Counsel Pat Cipollone — telling him that, while he understands an impeachment is a horrible thing for an administration to go through, Clinton and his lawyers would never have behaved the way Trump is now.
"In 1998, we felt under siege," wrote Breuer. "We argued at the time, as you do in your letter, that Congress should provide additional procedural protections to the president ... For example, instead of conducting its own investigation, the committee relied almost exclusively on [independent counsel Ken] Starr’s report, which had serious flaws. The House took only three months to adopt articles of impeachment, and we had only two days to present our witnesses. The president’s personal lawyer, David Kendall, had only 30 minutes to question Starr. We felt this was deeply unfair and a derogation of the House’s constitutional duty to investigate thoroughly whether impeachment was warranted."
White House leaked ‘insane letter’ to Fox host — that makes Trump look ridiculously ‘dumb’
President Donald Trump was ridiculed on Wednesday after a letter was leaked that President Donald Trump sent to Turkish President Recep Erdo?an.
The letter was sent a week ago, on October 9th.
A copy of the letter, where Trump warned Erdo?an not to be a fool, was obtained by Fox Business personality Trish Regan.
Commentary on the letter was swift -- and brutal.
Here's some of what people were saying:
Can’t tell if parody of dumb guy trying to cover his tracks or real dumb guy who is covering tracks