A convicted felon who engaged police in a nearly daylong standoff at his Florida apartment before taking his own life fatally shot four children in their sleep at the start of the confrontation, the Orlando Police Department said on Thursday.
Police who stormed the apartment after 21 hours on Monday night found suspect Gary Wayne Lindsey, 35, dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. The bodies of four children were also found inside the three-bedroom apartment.
Police have said Lindsey was the father of the two youngest children.
The incident began when Lindsey’s girlfriend called police to report an incident of domestic violence. The suspect opened fire on police through a front door of the apartment, critically wounding officer Kevin Valencia. The girlfriend, who was the mother of all four children, fled and was unhurt, according to the Orlando police.
“Our preliminary investigation has revealed the children were found deceased lying in their respective beds, wearing the same bedtime clothes their mother reported they were dressed in when she put them to bed,” the Orlando Police Department said on Twitter.
“Based on the condition of the victims’ bodies at the time of discovery, coupled with a thorough review of the investigation so far regarding this case, OPD homicide detectives believe the children were killed while they slept, either shortly before or shortly after the suspect’s initial contact with (police),” the police department said.
Valencia remained in critical condition on Thursday, according to the statement posted on Twitter. Police previously said it was unclear when the children were killed, but said that a stockpile of firearms including two rifles, two shotguns and a handgun were found inside the apartment.
Lindsey was a convicted felon on probation after pleading no contest to arson and battery charges. In a 2008 incident, Lindsey became violent during an argument with his former fiancée and set the house on fire after the woman fled.
Reporting by Dan Whitcomb in Los Angeles; Editing by Leslie Adler
Secret Service asks for jet skis to protect Trump family during Mar-A-Lago vacations
The U.S. Secret Service has asked for two jet skis to use while protecting President Donald Trump and his family during visits to their vacation homes.
The federal law enforcement agency formally requested funds to purchase the vehicles, which typically cost more than $10,000, after Secret Service agents had rented the watercraft with their own personal money, reported The Daily Beast.
“President Trump and his family spend several weeks throughout the year in (Mar-A-Lago) FL and Hamptons NY," the request reads. "The first family is very active in water sports. Several family members along with their guest participate in open water activities for which USSS Special Agent Rescue Swimmers are responsible.”
Cops slammed black man and arrested him over tinted windows on his ‘fancy car’: lawsuit
After Tennessee police pulled over Timothy Hamilton for having tinted windows that were too dark, he ended up in a jail cell. Now, Hamilton, who is black, is suing the Franklin Police Department for using what he claims was excessive force.
According to the Atlanta Black Star, the incident took place on September 2018 and Hamilton filed his suit in August. The incident began when Hamilton was sitting in his parked car in the parking lot of the church where he's a member when officers cited him for the tinted windows. Officers allege that before Hamilton parked his car, he was parked illegally in the street while visiting a family member, and made an illegal U-turn when he left.
BUSTED: NC GOP senator announces retirement after getting caught on video gerrymandering his district
North Carolina Republican state Sen. John Alexander has announced that he will not seek re-election after he was caught trying to gerrymander his own district.
Alexander made the announcement on Thursday after he was seen on video Wednesday making changes that would have made his district a safe Republican seat while representing many Democrats in the Raleigh area.
The changes were pointed out on Twitter by John Bisognano, executive director of National Democratic Redistricting Committee.