A National Collegiate Athletic Association review found that Michigan State University did not violate the organization’s rules in dealing with former school physician Larry Nassar, who was convicted of molesting hundreds of female gymnasts, the university said on Thursday.
“We welcome closure in regards to the NCAA inquiry,” Michigan State Athletic Director Bill Beekman said in a statement online.
The NCAA did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Last year Nassar, formerly a doctor for USA Gymnastics and Michigan State, was given an effective life sentence by a Michigan court for sexually abusing young female gymnasts entrusted to his care. He is also serving a 60-year sentence for a federal child pornography conviction.
At his sentencing hearing, more than 150 victims gave harrowing accounts of abuse at his hands.
In January, the NCAA contacted Michigan State, requesting its response to the sexual assaults and inquiring whether any NCAA rule violations occurred, the university said. In March, the university responded that violations did not occur.
The NCAA conducted an additional review following an ESPN report on Michigan State’s handling of allegations of student conduct involving the university’s football and men’s basketball programs. This review “‘has not substantiated violations of NCAA legislation,’” the university said, quoting a letter from the NCAA.
As to Nassar’s crimes committed at Michigan State, Beekman said, “The NCAA findings do not change a thing.”
“While we agree with the NCAA that we did not commit a violation, that does not diminish our commitment to ensure the health, safety and wellness of our student athletes,” he said.
Michigan State cooperated with the inquiry in the past several months, providing requested documentation and access to key personnel, Beekman said.
The Nassar scandal prompted the board of directors at USA Gymnastics to resign, along with top officials at Michigan State, including its president. In May the university agreed to pay $425 million to 332 of Nassar’s victims with another $75 million seat aside for future plaintiffs.
Reporting by Suzannah Gonzales in Chicago; Editing by Bill Trott
Scottish lawmaker: Reasonable grounds to suspect Trump or his associates ‘have been involved in serious crime’
A Member of the Scottish Parliament is asking his fellow ministers to investigate President Donald Trump’s deals through which he acquired his properties in Scotland, including Trump’s two multi-million dollar losing golf courses. President Trump prizes his Turnberry, Scotland resort, but reports that the American president is using the U.S. federal government to help keep it afloat have dogged him.
Florida woman zips boyfriend into suitcase and lets him suffocate: police
A Florida woman zipped her boyfriend into a suitcase and recorded video as he suffocated to death, police said.
Sarah Boone was arrested on second-degree murder charges in the death of Jorge Torres Jr., who died inside a suitcase during an apparent domestic dispute, reported WESH-TV.
The 42-year-old Boone told police that she had been drinking chardonnay with Torres, who she said agreed to climb into the suitcase and be zipped inside as a joke.
Rudy Giuliani whines he only has ‘five friends left’ in latest cell phone misadventure
On Thursday, the New York Daily News reported that President Donald Trump's personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani accidentally complained to a journalist that he had lost most of his friends as a result of the Trump impeachment business.
The confession, made to an unknown associate named "Tony," came after he put his phone in his pocket while it was still running, thinking he had ended his call — the latest in a number of similar mishaps Giuliani has had with his phone.