Quantcast
Connect with us

Senator Warren swears off expensive campaign fundraisers

Published

on

U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren will hold no political fundraising events with pricey admission fees to collect cash to fuel her bid for the Democratic nomination for president, she announced Monday morning, becoming the first candidate to formally swear-off the traditional means of campaign funding.

With as many as two dozen Democrats expected to vie for the chance to take on President Donald Trump in the November 2020 election, the ability to raise funds could become critical for lesser-known contenders trying to break through the crowd.

ADVERTISEMENT

Democrats have grown increasingly critical that corporations and the wealthy hold too much sway over U.S. elections, and several who are running to be the party’s nominee say they have refused to take corporate money.

Warren, who launched her campaign earlier this month, already promised not to take money from lobbyists or political action committees established by corporations. Monday’s announcement takes the pledge a step farther.

Instead of fundraisers with large entry fees, Warren will have to depend mainly on contributions collected online or from supporters willing to chip in smaller donations, known as “grassroots” supporters.

She will hold no fundraising dinners or cocktail parties, her campaign said.

ADVERTISEMENT

“That means no fancy receptions or big money fundraisers only with people who can write the big checks,” Warren said in an email to campaign supporters on Monday morning, according to a draft seen by Reuters.

Traditionally, presidential candidates have used fundraising events to tap donors capable of writing larger checks. This year, candidates are allowed to accept two $2,800 checks from an individual donor, one to be used during the primary and another if they compete in the general election.

Wealthy supporters are often willing to write large donation checks in exchange for access to the candidate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Since party nominees have typically hosted expensive fundraisers to help others in their party, if Warren wins the nomination her rejection of fundraisers could curb the spending power of other Democratic candidates for congressional offices.

 Warren acknowledged the potential for opposition within her own party.
“There are some Democrats who are so deeply afraid of losing to Donald Trump that they don’t want to risk saying or doing anything different at all,” she wrote to supporters.

Reporting by Ginger Gibson; Editing by Daniel Wallis

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

‘Get over it’: Trump’s chief of staff reveals Ukraine quid pro quo — but insists it’s just ‘politics’ as usual

Published

on

White House acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney admitted that President Donald Trump held up Ukraine aid to pressure the country to investigate a conspiracy theory.

Mulvaney, who is also the White House budget director, told reporters Thursday that Trump's desire to investigate his belief that a DNC computer server was hidden in Ukraine was part of the reason congressionally approved military aid was held up.

However, he insisted that did not represent a quid pro quo arrangement.

"We do that all the time, get over it," Mulvaney said. "Politics is going to be involved in foreign policy, elections do have consequences."

Continue Reading

Facebook

WATCH: Trump’s chief of staff pummeled in rancorous press briefing after announcing G7 decision

Published

on

President Donald Trump's chief of staff and Office of Management and Budget Director Mick Mulvaney was pummeled by reporters demanding answers about the president scoring huge sums of taxpayer dollars by having a G7 summit at his Miami resort.

Mulvaney held a press conference on Thursday where he announced that the G7 meeting would be at Trump National Doral Miami in 2020. Reporters responded with many questions about self-dealing and the president's profits off of the event.

Continue Reading
 

Facebook

Megyn Kelly calls for investigation of NBC News in her first TV appearance since her blackface scandal

Published

on

In her first TV interview since being fired by NBC News, Megyn Kelly publicly called for an outside investigation into her former employer.

“There needs to be an outside investigation into this company,” Kelly told Tucker Carlson as allegations that NBC covered up the sexual misconduct of former star anchor Matt Lauer. “They investigated themselves. That doesn’t work. Fox News had an outside investigators. CBS News had an outside investigator, NPR, the NFL. This is how it’s done."

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image