Quantcast
Connect with us

Polanski sues US motion picture academy for reinstatement

Published

on

Oscar-winning film director Roman Polanski is suing the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, demanding his reinstatement nearly a year after the organization expelled him amid the #MeToo movement.

Polanski, who in 1977 pleaded guilty in California to statutory rape, argued in a court filing in Los Angeles that the academy wrongly denied him a hearing when it voted in May to oust him amid the nationwide furor sparked by sexual-abuse revelations against famed producer Harvey Weinstein.

ADVERTISEMENT

The complaint, filed to the Superior Court of California, County of Los Angeles on Thursday, says the academy’s board of governors convened on January 26 to re-examine its decision, and confirmed it. Polanski had been a member since 1968.

“The procedures taken to expel Mr Polanski were fair and reasonable,” an academy spokesperson said in a statement cited by Variety. “The Academy stands behind its decision as appropriate.” It did not elaborate.

The academy in 2003 had awarded Polanski an Oscar for directing “The Piano.” His many other films include “Rosemary’s Baby” and “Chinatown,” which was nominated for 11 Oscars.

Polanski pleaded guilty in 1977 to having had unlawful sex with a 13-year-old girl, later identified as Samantha Geimer.

ADVERTISEMENT

After serving 42 days in a California prison while undergoing psychiatric evaluation, he fled to France, saying he feared the judge in the case might renege on a plea deal and send him back to jail.

Because he fled the US, charges are still pending against him there. He is a dual French-Polish citizen and has spent much of his life in France.

– ‘Cruel action’ –

ADVERTISEMENT

Asked for comment, Polanski attorney Harland Braun sent a link Saturday to an article saying that Geimer, who is now 54, supports Polanski’s desire for reinstatement.

The Academy’s expulsion of Polanski was “an ugly and cruel action,” she told Vanity Fair last year.

But attorney Braun said Polanski just wanted “a fair hearing.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“You have an offense that’s 40 years old, in which he has admitted his guilt, he has apologized to the victim, he has done more time than the law requires and the victim has come forward and begged the courts to put an end to it,” Braun told the Los Angeles Times. “What else do they want from an 85-year-old man?”

During his four decades back in Europe, Polanski pursued an active film career.

But the Weinstein scandal rocked Hollywood, galvanizing many women to come forward with long-repressed complaints.

ADVERTISEMENT

The academy adopted a new, more stringent code of conduct, and several months after it expelled Weinstein, the group voted to oust Polanski.

It also expelled actor Bill Cosby, himself accused by numerous women of rape or sexual misconduct. Four months later, Cosby was convicted in one assault case and is now serving a prison sentence in Pennsylvania.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Robert Reich walks through all the ways Trump is selling America to foreign powers for his own personal profit

Published

on

Notorious class warrior Robert Reich wrote a sharp attack of President Donald Trump for his international policies that are doing nothing more than scoring him personal cash and power.

Writing for The Guardian, Reich called Trump "the most xenophobic and isolationist American president in modern history," saying that the president has been "selling America to foreign powers for his own personal benefit."

While Trump promised during the 2016 election that he would "bring troops home," it was likely assumed that Trump meant the decades-long wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. The work on the ground in Syria was mostly being done by Kurdish allies and not American soldiers. The number of troops on the ground in Syria, prior to Turkey beginning their bombing campaign, was relatively low.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Fox News staff warns of an ‘exodus’ as consequence of Shep Smith resignation

Published

on

Fox Newsman Shep Smith had been working on splitting from Fox News for some time, according to a statement he released Friday. That moment finally came this week when he unexpectedly announced he was leaving the network.

As CNN reported Smith's departure is only the beginning.

"It feels like death in the news division," said one senior Fox employee. The source explained that many staffers were "shocked" at the news, and some were crying. "At least we had him."

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump tweets the same thing about trade in China he said about Mexico 4 months ago — it was false then

Published

on

On June 8, 2019, President Donald Trump tweeted, in all capital letters, that "Mexico was now purchasing large quantities of U.S. agricultural" product, but Mexico claimed it had no idea what he was talking about. Sunday, Trump tweeted the exact same phrase, talking about China.

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1183516534637060097

As CNBC reporter Carl Quintanilla pointed out, Trump announced with gusto:

"MEXICO HAS AGREED TO IMMEDIATELY BEGIN BUYING LARGE QUANTITIES OF AGRICULTURAL PRODUCT FROM OUR GREAT PATRIOT FARMERS!"

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image