Quantcast
Connect with us

Rapper Meek Mill granted new trial as controversial conviction tossed

Published

on

A Pennsylvania court on Wednesday unanimously granted rapper Meek Mill a new trail in a drug and gun case from his teenage years that sparked controversy over alleged police corruption and racial prejudice.

The three-judge opinion tossed the now 32-year-old artist’s conviction in addition to overturning parole violation rulings that put Mill behind bars in 2017, a sentence decried by advocates as unusually harsh and emblematic of racist biases in US probation laws.

ADVERTISEMENT

Mill was released in April 2018 after the state’s top court ordered him free on bail.

The Philadelphia native has since become a vocal advocate for criminal justice reform in a country where black people are incarcerated at more than five times the rate of white people, according to the NAACP civil rights organization.

Born Robert Rihmeek Williams Mill, Meek Mill was raised by a single mother after his father was killed and was later incarcerated over his arrest on drug and gun possession charges in 2008, well before he achieved stardom.

Mill had been kept on probation since the more-than-a-decade old conviction, which his defense team argued overly scrutinized his movements.

When the state’s Supreme Court ordered Mill out on bail, it cited “credibility issues” with an officer who was the sole police witness — evidence the appeals court also cited in part to overturn his conviction.

ADVERTISEMENT

Prosecutors could now opt to drop the case that became a flashpoint in the national conversation over the US criminal justice system’s treatment of black people.

Wednesday’s court opinion came just after Mill announced the creation of a new record label, “Dream Chasers,” in partnership with hip hop heavyweight Jay-Z’s Roc Nation.

“I’m not on probation right now…new label deal with jayz!!! Today was lit already ‘wtf GOD’ you be acting a fool,” tweeted Mill after his conviction was reversed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Earlier this year Mill and Jay-Z launched a criminal justice reform organization aimed at dramatically reducing the number of people in the US prison system.

Speaking to CBS about his new label as he awaited news from the court, Mill said “Dream Chasers” intends to provide a platform for “helping artists grow.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“We come from the same ghettos of America,” said Mill of Jay-Z. “I always felt like I had a responsibility to lead the culture as much as I can.”

“I always say Jay-Z and others that come before me, was like a snow plow for people like myself. They made it easier to walk through the snow storm. I want to continue to be a snow plow for the next generation coming behind me.”


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

‘Never Trumper’: President unleashes on Pence aide after she testifies about ‘inappropriate’ Ukraine pressure

Published

on

President Donald Trump on Sunday lashed out at an adviser to Vice President Mike Pence after she testified that the president put "inappropriate" pressure on Ukraine to investigate Joe Biden.

"Tell Jennifer Williams, whoever that is, to read BOTH transcripts of the presidential calls," Trump ranted on Twitter. "[S]ee the just released ststement from Ukraine. Then she should meet with the other Never Trumpers, who I don’t know & mostly never even heard of, & work out a better presidential attack!"

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump melts down on ‘nasty and obnoxious’ Chris Wallace over Fox host’s interview with Steve Scalise

Published

on

President Donald Trump blew a gasket on Sunday afternoon after seeing -- or possibly just hearing about -- a contentious interview conducted by Fox News Sunday host Chris Wallace with Rep. Steve Scalise (R-LA).

Taking to Twitter, Trump denounced the longtime Fox host as "nasty and obnoxious."

"@SteveScalise blew the nasty & obnoxious Chris Wallace (will never be his father, Mike!) away on Chris’s lowest rated (unless I’m on) morning show. This kind of dumb and unfair interview would never have happened in the @FoxNews past. Great job Steve!" Trump tweeted.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

‘They didn’t sign up for this’: Republican analyst says non-GOP voters who went for Trump will dump him over impeachment

Published

on

Appearing on MSNBC early Sunday morning, Republican adviser Shermichael Singleton was stunned by GOP lawmakers who are still standing by Donald Trump and stated non-Republican voters who went for Trump in 2016 are likely going to abandon the president in 2020.

Speaking with host David Gura, Singleton, who served in the Trump administration at HUD, torched the Republican Party for tying itself to the faltering Trump.

"These people... look, I hate to say this but it's the truth: They're just lying, they're all lying and I have to wonder why?" he began. "Why are they ruining their reputations for Donald Trump who has shown himself throughout this process to not be loyal to anyone but himself?"

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image